Winter recess in New York City can be filled with spectacular indoor pursuits like rock climbing and museums that are anything but boring! I’ve asked two of my go-to kids experts for the best New York activities with kids during February and here’s what they shared:
Jhanell Biggs, editor of Teen Travel NYC, offers these five fun ideas:
1. Check out the red hot New York Knicks: The city is buzzing with Jeremy Lin fever. Buy a jersey, get tickets and join in on the fun.
2. Indoor Rock Climbing is a great bonding and family fun activity at the Sports Center at Chelsea Piers.
3. Improv4Kids is creative comedy art that gets the entire family involved.
4. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is celebrating Black History Month with a look at the “most illustrious players who moved from the Negro Leagues into the Majors” in “Breaking the Color Barrier in Major League Baseball.” The exhibit is open until June 17, 2012.
5. Everyone likes to get pampered so spend the day getting your hair and nails done in the perfect mother and daughter activity. Some great spas for kids include Dimples Kid Spa, Dashing Diva, and Element Beauty Lounge.
Carla Sullivan from Mini Munchers, the source for restaurants that are kid-friendly in Manhattan, offered these suggestions:
1. Everyone’s favorite floating museum, the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, has its annual Kids Week, with different events every day including Star Wars characters, Broadway performances, New York team athletes, and so much more!
2. The NYC Police Museum has a really fun interactive floor for the kids! Your little ones will love investigating a real crime and, of course, the dress up and police car are favs!
3. Check out the new Blue Smoke restaurant in Battery Park! The kids’ menu is tremendous (as is the adults) and kids will love decorating a cookie while waiting for their meal — then the cookie is presented in a to-go bag as a special treat for the ride home!
Melissa Chapman blogs about her marriage and everything in between at MarriedMySugarDaddy.com and spotlights Staten Island Family Fun. Her work has appeared in The Staten Island Advance, Care.com, ABC News, BlogHer, Baby Center, Momtourage, Lifetime Moms, Babble,The Washington Post, Time Out NY Kids and iVillage.