Family Vacation Critic Forums

Family Vacation Critic Forums (http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas (http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Amtrak (http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073)

Host Young Gang Mom 02-17-2011 03:01 PM

Amtrak

Our family loves to travel via Amtrak train from Sacramento, California to Reno, Nevada in the winter. The views are absolutely breathtaking when it is snowing. There is no need for tire chains, and pit stops, which is a plus when traveling with children. There is a dining car, a snack car, comfortable seating as well as family rooms, roomettes, and bedrooms. Once you arrive in Reno, the major hotels are just a short walk or taxi ride away. One day we dreaming of taking the train over night perhaps to Colorado!

sunset shores girl 02-17-2011 10:18 PM

I just found this as an option to transport my 2 teenage daughters from Orlando (vacation with their dad) to Tampa (cruise with me).

Super cheap option and looks like it would be alot of fun!

Host Young Gang Mom 02-17-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunset shores girl (Post 6018)
I just found this as an option to transport my 2 teenage daughters from Orlando (vacation with their dad) to Tampa (cruise with me).

Super cheap option and looks like it would be alot of fun!

Awsome! It is a super way to travel. Welcome to the Family Vacation Critic Forums sunset shores girl!

elphaba 03-31-2011 05:16 PM

We just booked our ticket from St. Louis to Chicago for a quick trip this summer. However, a friend told me that on their trip a couple of years ago the trip was several hours longer than the ticket estimated. Have you experienced delays with Amtrak? I don't really mind if it takes longer, it would just be easier with dinner reservations, etc. if we knew in advance.

Host Young Gang Mom 03-31-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphaba (Post 6402)
We just booked our ticket from St. Louis to Chicago for a quick trip this summer. However, a friend told me that on their trip a couple of years ago the trip was several hours longer than the ticket estimated. Have you experienced delays with Amtrak? I don't really mind if it takes longer, it would just be easier with dinner reservations, etc. if we knew in advance.

We have experience delays with Amtrak, but only in the winter due to snow. Once it was a couple of hours while we were on the train going to Reno and another time it was delayed coming in from Colorado to Reno by 6 hours, but we received a call a night ahead of time to tell us of the boarding time change.

elphaba 03-31-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Host Young Gang Mom (Post 6403)
We have experience delays with Amtrak, but only in the winter due to snow. Once it was a couple of hours while we were on the train going to Reno and another time it was delayed coming in from Colorado to Reno by 6 hours, but we received a call a night ahead of time to tell us of the boarding time change.

Great, thanks!

jmoore557 01-27-2012 03:01 PM

Here is a tip for new amtrek travelers, when you get up to walk, hold on to something because the train's movement can make you stumble.