Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Theme Park Vacations > Walt Disney World

Forgot Your Password?

Walt Disney World Discuss Disney World resorts and activities. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
Disney Family Vacation Deals
Disney Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 07-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Family Adventurer

Default So Very Sad.......

Sun 5th July 09.... Our prayers & thoughts are with all the Disney Family, but especially with the family of the Cast Member who tragically lost his life......

Two Walt Disney World monorail trains collided early Sunday morning, killing the operator of one of the trains.

Walt Disney World spokesman Mike Griffin said the crash happened at about 2 a.m. Sunday, on one of the monorail's last runs of the day. A cast member who was piloting one of the monorails died at the scene of the accident, while another monorail driver was taken to the hospital. The second driver's injuries were not serious, Griffin said.

The trains were transporting guests leaving Epcot Center. Six park guests were on the train during the crash, but were not injured, Griffin said.

The wreck is the first fatal accident in the Walt Disney World monorail system's almost 38-year history, according to CFNews13.com. Walt Disney World officials said they are working with law enforcement officials to find out what happened.

"Our heart goes out to the cast member and the family," Griffin said.

Epcot is scheduled to open on time at 9 a.m. today, but the monorail to the park will not be in service, according to a Walt Disney World spokewoman.

Walt Disney World released the following statement regarding the incident:

"Today, we mourn the loss of our fellow cast member. Our hearts go out to his family and to those who have lost a friend and co-worker. The safety of our guests and cast members is always our top priority. The monorail is out of service and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement to determine what happened and the approximate next steps." -- Mike Griffin, Walt Disney World Vice President of Public Affairs

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Definitely a bad day for Disney. We rode the monorails a week or so later in DisneyLand and they were on special restrictions on how they could drive due to the accident in FL.

We definitely pray for the family of the driver who passed away.
I love traveling. I've been to Dinsey at all different times of the year with Christmas being my favorite. I've been to six continents and hope to very soon visit Antarctica. Australia and Fiji are among my all time favorite foreign destinations.

Probably the most notable trip was October 2002, when we were at Bali the night of the first bombing there. *** You will find me on Cruise Critic as well with the same user name. Happy Travels to all!!!

Watch a quick look at my Christmas Light Displayhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS34hUQrpM

Past Trips (Most recent first):
Aug09 WDW Week; June-July09 RCCL AK Cruise, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Disney Land and Four Corners region; Apr09 RCCL Voyager of the Seas; Feb09 RCCL Mariner of the Seas; Dec08-Jan09 Voyager of the Seas; Oct98 Fiji's Matangi Resort; May-June85 UK & France vacation; many others before these.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Family Adventurer

As a former Castmember, my heart breaks every time I hear about a fatal accident involving a CM. "Once a Castmember, always a Castmember!"