Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Mid-Atlantic US

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Mid-Atlantic US Mid-Atlantic family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in locations from upstate New York to Williamsburg.
Mid-Atlantic Family Travel Deals

Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for vacation ideas

We're looking to do a family with my husband's side next June. My side of the family does Surfside Beach (Myrtle Beach area) every July. We're outside of Cleveland, everyone else about an hour west of Pittsburgh. I'm looking to stay within an 8 hour drive if I can help it. Things we're looking for include outlets, amusement parks, zoos, etc. We'll need a 5 or 6 bedroom house. Any ideas? So far Williamsburg is in the lead.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahd View Post
We're looking to do a family with my husband's side next June. My side of the family does Surfside Beach (Myrtle Beach area) every July. We're outside of Cleveland, everyone else about an hour west of Pittsburgh. I'm looking to stay within an 8 hour drive if I can help it. Things we're looking for include outlets, amusement parks, zoos, etc. We'll need a 5 or 6 bedroom house. Any ideas? So far Williamsburg is in the lead.
If you have never done Williamsburg, that would be my choice - you have Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, the whole Colonial thing including Jamestown and Yorktown. Plus, the zoo and Nauticus in Norfolk, the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News, the aquarium in Virginia Beach and the Air and Space Museum in Hampton. All of that is within a 45-60 minute drive.

The only other thing that came to mind was Hershey. You have the parks, a zoo and Amish country.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Family Adventurer

I agree with A&J about Williamsburg. But, you might want to consider DC, too. Tons of history (the Smithsonian alone is worth the trip). But, we also have The National Zoo and 6 Flags, and Paramount's Kings Dominion is about 2 hours from DC in VA.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

Another enthusiastic vote for Williamsburg here!! You could easily spend a week here, just with the colonial history of Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. We found it utterly fascinating and our kids soaked up history like a sponge. Day trips that other posters have mentioned, such as Busch Gardens and waterparks would be a lot of fun also.

I also think you'd do well in Washington DC. As a native, I always took DC for granted, but it is an amazing place with the Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, Museum of Native Americans, all the monuments and sightseeing galore. If you are considering a trip to DC, contact your congressional representative's office; they can set up *free* tours for you, and these tours are great. You can get into the Capitol, the Supreme Court, the National Archives, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, as well as monuments. You can even request tickets to see the White House (those are harder to get).

If you're there for the 4th of July, don't miss the fireworks at the National Mall. They are amazing!