Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas

Forgot Your Password?

Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas Find, or share, unique tips and ideas to help with your family vacation. Tips exclusively for families, from families.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Family Trekker

Default Recommend a Local Vacation/Getaway

IF you had to plan a getaway within a 2 hour drive of your home for a weekend trip--what would you recommend?

Is there a special place you take friends or relatives when they visit?

Not sure if this is the best forum but since we all live in different places I can't pick a location and it isn't age group dependent!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Family Trekker

I would have to say Asheville NC. Biltmore Estate would be tops on my list! Definitely need a whole day to appreciate it! Then there is downtown with all the shops and restaurants, bars... Pack Place--museum, lots of festivals and music plus you can head to other nearby areas to enjoy mountains/views/waterfalls...I really enjoy Chimney Rock Park.

Second trip suggestion would be Boone/Blowing Rock. I haven't tried it yet but nearby they have a Zip Line!! Great parks, hiking and the Linn Cove Diaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway--gorgeous drive. Grandfather Mountain & Linville Caverns are a short drive away...

Winston Salem is 1 hr away and has a great historical village Old Salem, good kids science center, Reynolda house/museum.

It is amazing all the things we have to do in our area! I haven't even mentioned Charlotte and the surrounding areas.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Default Close to Chicag

In my area - Downtown Chicago is 30 minutes away. Tons of Museums, Navy Pier, the Lakefront boat and architechtural tours, City tours, zoo's, WHite Sox and Cubs.

1.5 hours from the City Six Flags Great America and Gurnee Mills with small waterpark nearby.

1.5 hours away Dunes of Indiana, great for Beach getaway - Many many places to pick your own berries in Indiana and lower west Michigan.

3-4 hours - Waterpark Capital of the Midwest. Wisconsin Dells, great family fun not far away. Geez ....I sound like a commercial. We have stayed at 3 of these resorts.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

We live in Tampa so we have Busch Gardens here in town as well as a great aquarium and science museum, are 30 minutes to beautiful Gulf beaches, 1 hour door to door to the Mouse and all things Disney and 1 1/2 hours to Universal Studios. Give me 2 1/2 hours and we are at the Atlantic where there is great wave action for boogie boarding.

Most of our friends and family come visit in the winter (hmmm, wonder why?!?) and 30 minutes away is the electric company power plant on the Bay. In the winter, manatees come hang out there in the warm water discharge and it's an incredible FREE thing to go watch them just swimming around in the water. In the summer, we go visit them!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Default Great family park only 2 hours from Detroit Michigan

My family takes a weekend vacation every year to Michigan Adventure Park. Itís a wonderful park. It's not too big and not to small I consider it a great starter park to take your children too before you go to some of the lagers parks like Cedar Point or 6 flags.

One day 2010 1-Day General Admission is only 26.00 and that also included admission to the Water Park.

This really is a great park to visit. There are Roller Coasters for the big kids, smaller rides for the little kids, and a water park for the whole family to enjoy. Itís reasonably priced and you can experience the entire park in one day.

1.Take I-96 West to Muskegon
2.Leave I-96 West by taking exit 1B (Ludington) to change to US-31 North
3.Leave US-31 North by taking the Russell Rd exit (exit 121)
4.Turn right (North) onto Russell Rd
5.At the first stop light, turn left (West) onto Riley Thompson Rd
6.The entrance to Michigan's Adventure is on Riley Thompson Rd

Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMom401 View Post
My family takes a weekend vacation every year to Michigan Adventure Park. Itís a wonderful park. It's not too big and not to small I consider it a great starter park to take your children too before you go to some of the lagers parks like Cedar Point or 6 flags.
Cool! That is one idea I will have to keep on hand. Not too far away.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

For us there is a lot to choose from. We are withing 2 hours of all of the follwing:

San Francisco, Great America, Six Flaggs Discovery Kingdom, our state capital Sacramento, Napa Valley, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and numerous other areas of interest including state parks, beaches, and shopping.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gang Mom View Post
For us there is a lot to choose from. We are withing 2 hours of all of the follwing:

San Francisco, Great America, Six Flaggs Discovery Kingdom, our state capital Sacramento, Napa Valley, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and numerous other areas of interest including state parks, beaches, and shopping.
wow aren't you the lucky one. In Michigan we have a lot of state parks and of course we have the great lakes which if you live here you are only a short drive away. Also if you are into Nature and the great out doors then Michigan is the place for you..

TravelMom401

Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

And yet we spend as much time as possible figuring out how to vacation out of state, lol. Would love to visit every state at least once!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gang Mom View Post
And yet we spend as much time as possible figuring out how to vacation out of state, lol. Would love to visit every state at least once!
funny... It's that the truth. I would love to travel out west more. hit the major Start Parks like the Grand Canyon and Yosemite.

TravelMom401