Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Australia & New Zealand

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Australia & New Zealand Australia and New Zealand family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels down under. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Family Adventurer

I've heard a lot about Australia. It's the land of kangaroos and one of the most beautiful species of marine animals. I will never forget that it is the country setting in the movie, Finding Nemo - my favorite movie.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieFamily View Post
Hi Kathleen

I have lived in Australia for most of my life and I must say it is a wonderful place to live. I have not holidayed in many places in Australia. We have been to the Gold Coast in Queensland quite a number of times though. Queensland has a great climate (tropical). There is so much to do there. The Great Barrier reef and the numerous island resorts.
We though, only go for the theme parks, as we have two young children.
There is Warner Brothers Movie World, DreamWorld, SeaWorld and Wet & Wild water park all of these are great and cater from the young to the old.
There is also a fantastic new themed show called the Outback Spectacular, which is well worth a look. It is a meal and a show with an authentic outback feel, The food is great and the show is magical. (there is even a helicopter that flies indoors!!!!!) We have been twice and both times where just as great.
Queensland is also home to Australia Zoo, made famous by the late great Steve Irwin. This is also a great place to visit, it is a huge park, very well laid out and very easy to walk around. We did a tour last time we where in Queensland (we try and go once a year), we caugh a coach, it takes about 1.5 hours to get up there from the Gold Coast but the scenery is great.
I live in South Australia, just near the Flinders Ranges. This is also a fantastic spot. It is only a couple of hours from Adelaide and it has countless places to stay and visit, The Clare Valley is a wine growing region and has many cellar doors for wine tasting.
The Flinders Ranges is best seen at this time of year when it is green and cool. The summer is very hot, dry and dusty and the flies will drive you mad.
You would be able to drive yourself around the Flinders Ranges as the roads are great and well sign posted. And there are heaps of places to stay.
We have a property in the Southern Flinders Ranges where we grow olives and make Shiraz wine and breed sheep. It has a slight mediteranian climate. A great place to live
The only other spot that should not be missed is the red centre, Ayres Rock and Alice Springs. This is also a fantastic place to visit, we drove from Pt Augusta and it takes about 12 hours. You can catch the Ghan train from Adelaide. This is a fantastic way to see the country side in the comfort of the train. (Not in the coach section though) it pays to spend extra and have a sleeper, where you have your own room, toilet bathroom and can eat in the dinning car. You can go to Alice Springs or as far a Darwin. This would give you a sample of all sorts of sites. Alice Springs is a great base to do tours out to the rock and other historic sites.
Darwin is very tropical and also has a great war time history.

Hope this helps a little

well said, thanks for sharing!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Family Adventurer

Great tips! I read out interesting and informative posts. In many ways Australia is very similar to the United States and in many ways it is completely different. It contains unusual animals and scenery not seen anywhere else on World. Everybody know that traveling to Australia is a major endeavor.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 AM

Hello guys!
Thanks for this great thread - lots of useful information. My partner and I have been dreaming of visiting Australia for ages, and have decided to organize a trip for next year. We'd only be able to stay for 2 and a half weeks, though. How much do you guys think we could realistically do and see in that time? We want to experience as much of Australia as possible, but would still like it to be a relaxing holiday. Should we just stick to Sydney or would we have time to explore other parts as well? Is there something we should definitely prioritize?
Looking forward to hearing from you!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Hoping to visit Austrailia in 2015, love all the information and tips.