Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas
 


Forgot Your Password?

Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas Find, or share, unique tips and ideas to help with your family vacation. Tips exclusively for families, from families.

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Host Young Gang Mom's Avatar
Host Young Gang Mom Host Young Gang Mom is offline
Family Vacation Critic Host
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 584
Default Amtrak

Our family loves to travel via Amtrak train from Sacramento, California to Reno, Nevada in the winter. The views are absolutely breathtaking when it is snowing. There is no need for tire chains, and pit stops, which is a plus when traveling with children. There is a dining car, a snack car, comfortable seating as well as family rooms, roomettes, and bedrooms. Once you arrive in Reno, the major hotels are just a short walk or taxi ride away. One day we dreaming of taking the train over night perhaps to Colorado!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 PM
sunset shores girl sunset shores girl is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Default

I just found this as an option to transport my 2 teenage daughters from Orlando (vacation with their dad) to Tampa (cruise with me).

Super cheap option and looks like it would be alot of fun!
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Host Young Gang Mom's Avatar
Host Young Gang Mom Host Young Gang Mom is offline
Family Vacation Critic Host
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset shores girl View Post
I just found this as an option to transport my 2 teenage daughters from Orlando (vacation with their dad) to Tampa (cruise with me).

Super cheap option and looks like it would be alot of fun!
Awsome! It is a super way to travel. Welcome to the Family Vacation Critic Forums sunset shores girl!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 PM
elphaba elphaba is offline
Family Adventurer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Default

We just booked our ticket from St. Louis to Chicago for a quick trip this summer. However, a friend told me that on their trip a couple of years ago the trip was several hours longer than the ticket estimated. Have you experienced delays with Amtrak? I don't really mind if it takes longer, it would just be easier with dinner reservations, etc. if we knew in advance.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Host Young Gang Mom's Avatar
Host Young Gang Mom Host Young Gang Mom is offline
Family Vacation Critic Host
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphaba View Post
We just booked our ticket from St. Louis to Chicago for a quick trip this summer. However, a friend told me that on their trip a couple of years ago the trip was several hours longer than the ticket estimated. Have you experienced delays with Amtrak? I don't really mind if it takes longer, it would just be easier with dinner reservations, etc. if we knew in advance.
We have experience delays with Amtrak, but only in the winter due to snow. Once it was a couple of hours while we were on the train going to Reno and another time it was delayed coming in from Colorado to Reno by 6 hours, but we received a call a night ahead of time to tell us of the boarding time change.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM
elphaba elphaba is offline
Family Adventurer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Young Gang Mom View Post
We have experience delays with Amtrak, but only in the winter due to snow. Once it was a couple of hours while we were on the train going to Reno and another time it was delayed coming in from Colorado to Reno by 6 hours, but we received a call a night ahead of time to tell us of the boarding time change.
Great, thanks!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
jmoore557 jmoore557 is offline
Family Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Here is a tip for new amtrek travelers, when you get up to walk, hold on to something because the train's movement can make you stumble.
Reply With Quote


Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amtrak California TravelSimpleScott Saving Money on Travel 0 03-01-2010 01:50 PM


  • 19 Corn Maze Picks for Families
    Challenge your family to one of these corn mazes, located across the U.S., and after you weave your way through this year's designs, enjoy hayrides, jumping pillows, petting zoos and more. Salisbury Farm Corn Maze Photo Courtesy of Salisbury Farm The corn maze at Salisbury Farm in Johnston, R... read more
  • Traveling with Infants: Airline Rules & Regulations
    Airplane travel with an infant can be an intimidating and overwhelming process. Unless you plan on wearing your baby the entire trip or have a car seat and/or stroller lined up at your destination, you'll be traveling with a lot of extra baggage. On top of that, different airlines have different pol... read more
  • 8 Living History Museums for Families
    Traveling with kids can be educational as they discover new places and cultures, but to really give them a trip in which they'll learn, take them to visit a living history museum. These special attractions typically feature costumed historians who bring the past to present in old-fashioned settings,... read more

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.


© 2009 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved. All of the material contained on Family Vacation Critic is protected under copyright. You may, however, download a single copy for your personal use.