Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Traveling with Kids > Tweens & Teens

Forgot Your Password?

Tweens & Teens Traveling with tweens or teens can be rough; get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families. Travel with Tweens and Teens

Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile Carnival Cruise to Bahamas from New York a Big Hit with My Tweens!

This was our first family vacation that was longer than a weekend away with the kids. We decided to be brave and include their first flight along with a Bahamas Cruise aboard the Carnival Miracle out of New York City. We also decided to add two days on the beginning of the trip to see the sites in the Big Apple. We werent' sure how this would work out, so much to see in so little time. This vacation turned out to be the best vacation that we ever have taken as a family. New York offered lots to see and lots of memories of different places that they have watched a hundred times in different movies. The best stop in New York for the 10 year old was the Toy Store in Times Square, which has the largest indorr ferris wheel and the best stop for the 12 year old was the museum of Natural History. They both enjoyed the dinasaurs and exhibits with the greatest of interest. Next came the Bahamas cruise. Well the 'all you can eat' ice cream and pizza aboard the Carnival Miracle was an amazing hit with the boys. The Camp Carnival was a great distraction for the days at sea with scavenger hunts, giant cookie decorationg, access to video games and so many more things. I loved that there was some time with the camp that included a Family Scavenger Hunt which I think I enjoyed more than the kids. The island stops were great (Half Moon Cay, Nassau and Grand Turk) with amazing beach weather and the boys loved snorkeling. One of our stops included Nassau where we decided to go to the Atlantis Resort and enjoy the waterslides and the lazy river. The boys loved, loved, loved the experience. I would highly recommend cruising with kids, my boys still talk about their experience as if it will be the first of many.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanthorne View Post
This was our first family vacation that was longer than a weekend away with the kids. We decided to be brave and include their first flight along with a Bahamas Cruise aboard the Carnival Miracle out of New York City. We also decided to add two days on the beginning of the trip to see the sites in the Big Apple. We werent' sure how this would work out, so much to see in so little time. This vacation turned out to be the best vacation that we ever have taken as a family. New York offered lots to see and lots of memories of different places that they have watched a hundred times in different movies. The best stop in New York for the 10 year old was the Toy Store in Times Square, which has the largest indorr ferris wheel and the best stop for the 12 year old was the museum of Natural History. They both enjoyed the dinasaurs and exhibits with the greatest of interest. Next came the Bahamas cruise. Well the 'all you can eat' ice cream and pizza aboard the Carnival Miracle was an amazing hit with the boys. The Camp Carnival was a great distraction for the days at sea with scavenger hunts, giant cookie decorationg, access to video games and so many more things. I loved that there was some time with the camp that included a Family Scavenger Hunt which I think I enjoyed more than the kids. The island stops were great (Half Moon Cay, Nassau and Grand Turk) with amazing beach weather and the boys loved snorkeling. One of our stops included Nassau where we decided to go to the Atlantis Resort and enjoy the waterslides and the lazy river. The boys loved, loved, loved the experience. I would highly recommend cruising with kids, my boys still talk about their experience as if it will be the first of many.
We have a a contest going on that if you write a short review on your hotel or on your trip you could win a nice prize. why don't you check it out... Share Your Vacation Stories and Win a Family Vacation!
Simply write a family vacation trip report or a family-friendly hotel review between now and September 10, and you could win a family vacation at the St. Lucian Almond Resort of your choice!

TravelMom401

Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

I know that this is an old post but I wanted to second the Carnival Miracle as a great ship for families. We were on the ship out of NYC in August 2008. My son was 13 and my daughter was 10. The enjoyed the ship, Camp Carnival and the ports. This was not their first cruise. It was actually their 5th. We will be going on our yearly family cruise in 3 weeks on the NCL Gem. We think that a family cruise is a perfect vacation.

Previous cruises:
NCL X8, RCCL X4, CCL X2, Cunard X1

Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Family Adventurer

I know this question can sound a bit strange, but are the ship cruises safe for kids under 10? I mean do I have to watch them entire time or it is safe to let them play alone from time to time? (I don't mean alone like for a half day, but just let them from our sight for brief moments)

Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHorn View Post
I know this question can sound a bit strange, but are the ship cruises safe for kids under 10? I mean do I have to watch them entire time or it is safe to let them play alone from time to time? (I don't mean alone like for a half day, but just let them from our sight for brief moments)
This would be a matter of opinion. As a parent of 8 and 10 year old children myself I don't know that I would let them off on their own. My 10 year old I would be more apt to let check himself in and out of the kids club, but I would only allow that if he was going right back to the room. I hear a lot of complaining from other cruisers about children running free on the ships. I did find that to be the case on my 2 previous cruises, but it was not an issue to me and they were not unruly and wild.

If you want time on your own, most ships offer free kids programs which provide a safe and fun place for your child to play and interact with eachother while you get some quality adult time.

Our sister site Cruisecritic.com is an awesome place to really get a lot of your cruise questions answered. We are cruising as a family again this Fall and I frequent the site often.

Last edited by Host Young Gang Mom; 06-18-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Family Vacation Critic Host

If your children are willing to use the kids facilities on the ship then you won't have to be watching them all the time as they will have the opportunity to socialize with other kids there while parents have some adult time. We have cruised a number of times with our daughters at various ages. Our older daughter is now 15 but she was over 10 before we allowed her to sign herself in and out of the kids club - she also had strict instructions at that age that if she signed herself out that she was to come directly to meet us and not wander the ship.

As Young Gang Mom has mentioned there are two issues when it comes to children being allowed to go off on their own on a ship - the first is safety and the second is whether their behaviour is bothering other passengers.

We have been on 5 cruises and I believe that ships are essentially safe places, however, they are like floating towns of perhaps 5000 people and some caution does need to be exercised. We have a 7 year age gap between our two daughters so my older daughter's freedom has perhaps been curtailed more than she would like as she doesn't have a sibling to hang out with. With siblings who are closer in age or friends traveling together it is easier to allow a little more freedom as they will be walking around the ship together - safety in numbers. As a teen we do allow her the freedom to come and go (so long as we know where she will be) and she tends to meet friends on the ship and they hang out together.

With respect to the second issue, we have always set clear guidelines on the behaviour expected and what the consequences will be for misbehaviour. Fortunately, it has never been a problem for us as our older daughter can be a quiet girl who would shy away from loud, rowdy activities anyway. Every parent knows their child and if you have any concerns that yours may get loud and rowdy when not being supervised then you probably need to keep a tighter rein. As Young Gang Mom stated, other passengers can get very easily annoyed if they think that kids are not behaving properly so its best to ensure that your child isn't the one that other passengers are complaining about.

We have cruised in the Caribbean, Alaska, the Mediterranean and the Baltics and have found it to be a great family vacation particularly because it does allow us to balance family time with time spent apart from the kids on the ship as they socialize with new friends.

Lisa

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Young Gang Mom View Post
Our sister site Cruisecritic.com is an awesome place to really get a lot of your cruise questions answered. We are cruising as a family again this Fall and I frequent the site often.
This is a great site! We used it when we were planning our summer vacation last year and in the end it was superb! (although I have older kids than you)

Can only recommend this site.