Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Need Help Using the Boards?

Forgot Your Password?

Need Help Using the Boards? Need technical help? Ask here!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Family Trekker

Default Resize width of browser does not resize contents

On cruisecritic and disboards, when I resize my browser width, the contents are redrawn to fit the width. Here, it causes a horizontal scroll bar to appear and makes it hard to read all posts...I have to keep the browser nearly max screen size to read without horizontal scroll.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Hi Bill,

It is set to resize -- I can do so on mine.

Sounds like a browser specific problem. Which browser/version are you using?

Thanks for letting us know.

Kathleen

Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Community Manager

Hmm, this one is a stumper. I'm using firefox and see exactly what you are talking about.

On Cruise Critic if I resize the window to a quarter of the screen size, for example, the entire forum fits neatly within. Not so on this forum.

I'm adding this to my list of investigations for tomorrow.

Laura

Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Hmm, this one is a stumper. I'm using firefox and see exactly what you are talking about.
i replicated this with IE 7.0.5730.13 and 7.0.5730.11:

Old 06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Question for Bill and Mark -- if you make your browser the full screen size and then gradually make it smaller, does it resize up until a certain point? Can you make it smaller until the nav bar starts wrapping to two lines?

Or is the problem that no matter what size you make it you have to scroll from left to right?

If it's the first, how important is it to make it smaller than that?

Kathleen

Old 06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Question for Bill and Mark -- if you make your browser the full screen size and then gradually make it smaller, does it resize up until a certain point? Can you make it smaller until the nav bar starts wrapping to two lines?

Or is the problem that no matter what size you make it you have to scroll from left to right?

If it's the first, how important is it to make it smaller than that?

Kathleen
interesting point - it didn't even occur to me, because when i hit the 'restore down' button (while ie is maximized), it restored down to a size where the distortion was already occuring.

but yes, you're right - it will re-size down to a certain point, and that point is, i think, whatever the minimum pixel width is set for posts via vbulletin / whatever settings you guys have.

starting from 'maximized' size (but not via the maximize button, thereby in a state of 'restore down'), here's a pictorial explanation:

it's fine at about 10% narrower than maximized:

and at 20% narrower:

up to about 25% narrower:

and then starts clipping just after that 25% shown above, here is what it looks as of about 30% narrower than maximum:

is it important? i dunno. i, and most people, read things maximized, i think. beyond that, i'm not sure you can have it consistently clip to fit the size of the window, indefinitely... for instance, i wouldn't expect it to format to fit-to-size, when the window is only 10 or 20% of the normal full width.

maybe just make it so it'll re-format at a little narrower size. i think many users' windows 'restore down' to a size (which is often 'inherited' by the last site that popped up, i think a common size there is about 640 or so pixels) that is narrower than where fvc starts clipping...?

PS: extra credit question - who can name that island on my desktop LOL

Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Family Trekker

Just catching up, and yes it's just as Mark described for me also, in the most current IE and Firefox versions.

Now, I have a widescreen PC, and at work a normal screen. Basically it has to be maximized on a normal screen, and I get only 25% of my widescreen available.

I think it's odd that vbulletin is behaving this way here but not at cruise critic or disboards.

Now as for who needs this... your power users need this. The ones who contribute constantly are the ones who open multiples windows, referring back and forth to official sources and other threats, pointing people to the right places for answers... that's who!

I can understand if this isn't high priority but if it's a simple vbulletin configuration setting worth a little effort. Thanks much for looking at it!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBill View Post
Just catching up, and yes it's just as Mark described for me also, in the most current IE and Firefox versions.

Now, I have a widescreen PC, and at work a normal screen. Basically it has to be maximized on a normal screen, and I get only 25% of my widescreen available.

I think it's odd that vbulletin is behaving this way here but not at cruise critic or disboards.

Now as for who needs this... your power users need this. The ones who contribute constantly are the ones who open multiples windows, referring back and forth to official sources and other threats, pointing people to the right places for answers... that's who!

I can understand if this isn't high priority but if it's a simple vbulletin configuration setting worth a little effort. Thanks much for looking at it!
Thanks Bill and Mark -- we are looking into it, just trying to figure out if it's a vbulletin setting or the expandable colored bar under the logo that's causing this problem. We have a newer version of vbulletin installed for this site than Cruise Critic and there are some new features and some new quirks that we're getting used to.

Thanks for your help!

Kathleen

Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

[quote=

PS: extra credit question - who can name that island on my desktop LOL[/QUOTE]

How about showing the full picture of it?? :-)

Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
How about showing the full picture of it?? :-)
LOL! that's supposed to be hard / fun part.

HINT: it's not in the caribbean, or the atlantic for that matter. it's in the pacific, and is one of the most famous / beautiful islands in the world