Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Alaska

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Alaska Alaska family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in Alaska. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.

Alaska Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Default Viewing the Northern Lights

Wow...did I find some neat deals to go see the Northern Lights. Of course the best viewing is late at night in the middle of the winter...pack you woolies.

Cheena Hot Springs Resort and several other resorts have Northern Light Watching Packages available.

Go see the lights!!!
I love traveling. I've been to Dinsey at all different times of the year with Christmas being my favorite. I've been to six continents and hope to very soon visit Antarctica. Australia and Fiji are among my all time favorite foreign destinations.

Probably the most notable trip was October 2002, when we were at Bali the night of the first bombing there. *** You will find me on Cruise Critic as well with the same user name. Happy Travels to all!!!

Watch a quick look at my Christmas Light Displayhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS34hUQrpM

Past Trips (Most recent first):
Aug09 WDW Week; June-July09 RCCL AK Cruise, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Disney Land and Four Corners region; Apr09 RCCL Voyager of the Seas; Feb09 RCCL Mariner of the Seas; Dec08-Jan09 Voyager of the Seas; Oct98 Fiji's Matangi Resort; May-June85 UK & France vacation; many others before these.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

I am back to share that Northern Lights are no sure thing. We went up to the top of the mountain near Chena Hot Springs resort, cost for the snow coch ride $75 per adult and half price for the half pint DD. It started out around -5f when we first got to the top of the mountain around 9pm and fell to somewhere between -25f or colder before we headed back to the resort 4 hours later. At the resort the I recall the thermometer reading around -30f...a fair bit chilly for Texans.

So the lights...don't always come out and dance non stop on command each night. In fact we saw basically white light doing some dancing in slow motion. It was cold enough, relativley clear, but just no great luck. It is hit or miss and you can easily spend a fortune trying to see them.

In fact one family who was with us that evening was on their second or third attempt to go see the lights each night that long weekend.

One day I will try it again...just not real soon or even from the same resort. I will probably go to one closer to Fairbanks just to cut down travel time and put me closer to other places to eat and things to do...specifically the dog sled rides. They are fun!!!
I love traveling. I've been to Dinsey at all different times of the year with Christmas being my favorite. I've been to six continents and hope to very soon visit Antarctica. Australia and Fiji are among my all time favorite foreign destinations.

Probably the most notable trip was October 2002, when we were at Bali the night of the first bombing there. *** You will find me on Cruise Critic as well with the same user name. Happy Travels to all!!!

Watch a quick look at my Christmas Light Displayhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS34hUQrpM

Aug09 WDW Week; June-July09 RCCL AK Cruise, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Disney Land and Four Corners region; Apr09 RCCL Voyager of the Seas; Feb09 RCCL Mariner of the Seas; Dec08-Jan09 Voyager of the Seas; Oct98 Fiji's Matangi Resort; May-June85 UK & France vacation; many others before these.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Family Trekker

Location: The world if I could but for now I settle for the west coast.

Dave had I know I could have shared some bits of info that we found out. The northern lights show up 3 days after a solar flair. I know it may not help if you have a pre-paid package and all, but if you check the almanacs for the most frequent nights of flairs for the past ten years then you could reason that they might happen again at the same time again. Anyway when DH and I went to Alaska we lucked out on a cruise and saw them in Sept. it was not expected as we thought it was way too early in the season to see them, but we had a lunar eclipse happening on the left side of the ship and the northern lights streaking across the sky on the right.

Bummer that you did not get to see them though. Hope the trip was well worth it anyways.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

You are right 3 days after a solar flare is best...of course the colder it is, the darker it is, and several other factors all play in. Clear nights are best of course as clouds can plain hide the lights.

I still think I will be back up in the zone defined by UAF - Aurora Forecast Center as best viewing area pretty soon...unless I don't get well quickly. I am out of service today with something that makes me think I got a mild case of the swine flu...if so I was obviously exposed before I got the vaccination. The bigger bummer out of it is that now I have to wait on Yellow Fever and Hep a-b shots I need before I go to Kenya which may not work as planned.

A good clear night in Barrow should if 3 days after solar flares produce an awesome light show...this time of year it's dark almost all of the time as well. Every day I look at pegs Barrow as in an area of prime viewing opportunity. Top that with the possibility for Polar Bear sightings and it makes for a great short trip to Barrow.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Family Adventurer

An enticing view filled with beautiful lights are perfect for a family vacation. The lights, no matter how bad you feel that day, will make you feel better.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Family Adventurer

I’ve heard the best place to spot the Northern Lights is in Norway. It sure is a magnificent experience. I hope I will get a chance to see these beautiful skies one day!