Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Traveling with Kids > Infants & Toddlers

Forgot Your Password?

Infants & Toddlers Find or share ideas to help travel with infants & toddlers. Traveling with Infants and Toddlers

Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Default don't travel with sunwing airlines

My family recently went to Cabo for my eldest son's wedding. We travelled with my 2 grandchildren aged 9 months and 3.5 years. We booked with Romantic Planet Travel Agency - experts at weddings!? We were booked on Sunwing Airlines to get to our destination. We were not offered any other flight options. Sunwing flew out at 0600 from calgary and stopped in vancouver before heading off to Cabo. Westjet and Air canada vacations both had direct, non-stop, flights later in the morning but these were not offered to us as flight options. You can just imagine how hard it was to be at the airport at 0300 with 2 small kids, instead of at 0800 for a Westjet vacation. When we got to the airport I had to pay 400.00 in overweight fees - Sunwing has a policy that every passenger is allowed 2 bags, BUT, only a total of 20 kg per person - not per bag. Then, the overweight fee is 20.00 per kg. Yes this is in the ticket, but the ticket is a 7 page document and these fees are buried in the fine print on page 7, so beware!! When I contacted Sunwing they were not too helpful or sympathetic to the fact that this is not industry standard. In fact customer service was useless. So, when booking a holiday with your family make sure that all of the flight options are made available to you. Push the travel agent because I think they get free trips by booking clients on certain airlines. Make sure you are given all of your options - check the internet yourself first because all vacation packages are available online for each airline. If you do choose to fly Sunwing weigh your bags before you get to the airport. They do let you take golf clubs for free. Lastly, the food on this airlines is free - be aware, you get what you pay for, the food is terrible.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Sorry to hear about your airline nightmare hockeymd. Flying is always the least favorite part of our family vacations, with all of the fees, long lines, security checks and cramped seating, it a wonder we keep doing it. But it is a necessary part of our trips. Thanks for sharing your input on Sunwing Airlines. I hope it is less frustrating for you the next time your travel.

With that aside, how did you enjoy the rest of your trip?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 PM

The rest of the trip was great. we stayed at the Dreams resort in Cabo where my son was married on the beach. The resort was great, not too big, nice beach and wonderful, friendly staff. The water was too rough to swim in the ocean but the pools were great. The food was average but the service was excellent and friendly. The gold course across the street (Cabo Real) was beautiful and had a great mix of beautiful views of both the desert and the ocean, and a challenge for even the better golfers.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Family Vacation Critic Host

I have heard good things about Dreams. Glad that went smoothly and congratulations on your son's marriage.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM

I'm glad that you still made it to your son's marriage. That's one hell of a nightmare for an airline experience.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
World Travelers

I think the baggage fees are ridiculous and if the Airline is at fault for anything, that is it. That said, I'd be complaining a lot more to and about the agency that booked you, they did you a disservice and should have asked if the times and baggage limits were acceptible to you or if you'd prefer a different airline, itinerary even if more expensive.

I'll pile-on to the airlines these days as much as anyone, but I honestly don't think they have nearly as much of the responsibility for your negative experience as the travel agency--i'd be talking to then about a baggage fee refund for not warning you explicitly.