Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas > Interests & Activities

Forgot Your Password?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Default Two places with lots of great bike riding

Two other vacations we enjoyed with lots of bike riding/bike paths were in Sanibel Florida and Hilton Head/Sea Pines. Particularly in Sea Pines, we would rent a condo on the beach and once we were there, bike most of our vacation. You can easily get to the restaurants in Sea Pines and the bike trails are very nice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Family Trekker

This might be a good option for folks--

they don't allow cars--
http://www.putinbay.com/

and close to Cedar Point which has 1/2 of the top 10 rollercoasters! Or at least a few years ago it did! It was a LOT of fun. We stopped in Cleveland did the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and then drove on to Cedar Point.

Haven't been Put In Bay but it looks like a lot of fun. Not sure if it turns into a Drunk Fest at night or not but supposedly family friendly.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Host & Charter Member

Thumbs up

Sounds like a good tip Alise! With all the varied activities, entertainment etc., and they specifically mention FAMILIES, I can't imagine they would tolerate too much drunken-ness by visitors to the island. It sounds like there is more than enough to do than drink. I first thought, OH FISHERMAN, they love to pop off a few after a days' fishing but then I thought, "no don't be generalizing that way" not everyone does that! Families like to fish too!!

Indeed it sounds like a fun family destination, GOOD FIND! Plus if it is near Cedar Point (LOVE ROLLERCOASTERS!!) and then, not too far off from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I'd say all combined, that's a mighty good OHIO vacation week! Lots of fun, varied things all tied up into one very nice trip! Good thinking and planning! You might have just set up some folks summer travel plans for them It'd work for me!!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Family Trekker

[quote=HostColleen;3929]Sounds like a good tip Alise! With all the varied activities, entertainment etc., and they specifically mention FAMILIES, I can't imagine they would tolerate too much drunken-ness by visitors to the island. It sounds like there is more than enough to do than drink. I first thought, OH FISHERMAN, they love to pop off a few after a days' fishing but then I thought, "no don't be generalizing that way" not everyone does that! Families like to fish too!!

Indeed it sounds like a fun family destination, GOOD FIND! Plus if it is near Cedar Point (LOVE ROLLERCOASTERS!!) and then, not too far off from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I'd say all combined, that's a mighty good OHIO vacation week! Lots of fun, varied things all tied up into one very nice trip! Good thinking and planning! You might have just set up some folks summer travel plans for them It'd work for me!![/QUOTE

Had we not moved from Pittsburgh 4 yrs ago that would have been HIGH on our list!

We enjoyed our trip from Cedar Point down to Columbus over a July 4th weekend. Went thru the middle of Amish areas and got behind horse and buggy en route!

Columbus put on a GREAT fireworks show along the river. My son asked me about my Rock N Roll Hall of Fame tshirt yesterday and asked when he could go there...keep in mind he is 3 (4 in May) so I said maybe when he was 16!

ok enough Hijacking!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Family Trekker

http://www.trails.com/stateactivity.aspx?area=10301

This will make the extra stuff fit into the thread!!!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

I have not been to Put in Bay, but I lived in the area for several years. It has a reputation for being party central, especially during school breaks. I'd be wary of taking kids there, or at least staying the night there.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Host & Charter Member

Thumbs up

Well, I enjoyed watching the Tour de France this year - Lance didn't win but his team DID!! But throughout the Tour, the commentators were always talking about non-competitive cycling, i.e. US/WE and our cycling and giving out great tips, ideas and generally encouraging everyone to get out there on the road, it's a great pastime! And contrary to what you might think, it's for kids (and adults) of ALL ages with the advents of many styles of banks and kid-seats, not to mention family bike tours, and even organized cycling events all around the country for families to get involved in.

I decided to go on a search and found an interesting website that by itself had loads of interesting information, but also had a long list of blogs down the left side of the site dedicated to family cycling and cycling adventures. I searched through some of the blogs, found many of them to be quite informative and fun, and tied into the main page which will load when you click on the link.

With some time left in summer and the weekends of autumn upon the horizon, it might be possible to get in some great weekend cycling with your family on an organized ride, or even take a trip if your kids aren't yet in school. You won't believe how do-able it is!!

http://totcycle.com/

It's healthy, it's fun, it's safe and it's outdoors - how can you not love it?
I've been cycling since I was about 5, with my Dad and did my first 20 mile bike-a-thon at 10. Biked in Virginia on vacation, rented bikes many times overseas and now, having watched the TdF so many times it's renewed my passion for cycling and how much family fun it is. It was for me!! Great times indeed

Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Family Adventurer

Biking vacations are fun, but they also help you stay in shape.