Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > New England

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

New England New England family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in New England. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
New England Family Travel Deals
New England Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Family Adventurer

Default Summer in Vermont?

My family is planning a week in Vermont in July, on Lake Champlain. We've never been there so if you have any suggestions on what to do there to please a 9 year old and a 3 year old (both boys), I'd love to hear them! Are there any not-to-be missed things to do?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Host & Charter Member

Hi Josie,

Where abouts at Lake Champlain? There are many possibilities and Vermont is absolutely beautiful....i just love it there and have had some great times in the State.

I guess first and foremost is, having fun with the Beach/Lake! It should be fairly warmed up by then, good for toe - dipping and wading. Can the boys swim? Because anytime we have been near a lake, since I was *little* we got in boats and enjoyed simply being on the lake, maybe do a little fishing - perhaps a play pole for your little guy - or even just a peddle boat on the lake. You can also pack a picnic lunch and enjoy it on the lake. Playing in the sand - always a blast! There's the Ethan Allan II ferry boat ride you can take across the lake.

Also, there's hiking and bike paths that course along the contours of parts of the lake, romping in the woods - little boys love to find sticks and bugs, interesting rocks, maybe spot birds and butterflies. Also, one thing I remember doing was finding berry picking farms in summer - lots of fun!! The State parks have many options as well.

It's a GREAT summer destination, has some Revolutionary War history, a Jazz Festival in July and big 4th of July fireworks over the lake, visible from the beaches or on the lake. Endless possibilities!! Vermont is just an amazing state, you'll all love it!!

When you return, think about submitting a trip report and photos to us; weekly winning reports or pictures are rewarded with FamilyVacationCritic.com totes! If you've recently had a trip, feel free to submit a report/pics about that trip now!!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 AM

If it's a rainy day (or even on a nice day), be sure to check out the ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center in Burlington - http://echovermont.org/

Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Family Adventurer

Thanks for your replies,

HostColleen, we'll be in Mallett's Bay, in a beach house on the lake so I'm certain we'll do plenty of beach/lake stuff. You gave me the idea of taking our bikes. Hopefully, the paths will be near our spot! And yes, I can just imagine the boys stopping every three inches to pick up a rock, or branch, or something gross! Berry picking! Yes!
Tylerplace, I'm going to check Echo Lake Aquarium and Science Center for sure! It looks interesting!
Thanks again!

Jo