Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Traveling with Kids > Grandchildren and Multigenerational Family Travel

Forgot Your Password?

Grandchildren and Multigenerational Family Travel It's fun to travel with your grandchildren or multiple generations!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Default Our First Trip With The Grandparents

We decided to ask my parents and my husbands mother to join our family on vacation in Jamaica this fall. The kids are very excited, but what does this mean for us. We cherish our parents, but also the time we spend alone with the kids. Is it OK to set boundaries so that we can have some alone time with the kiddo's or would that be overstepping and be disrespectful?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM

We have taken my husband's parents along with us on 3 cruises and we have also spent a week on vacation in Prince Edward Island with them. My best advice would be that you absolutely have to find a way to spend time apart from them or everyone will start to get on each other's nerves and you will resent the fact that they are with you. It's probably best if you discuss with them ahead of time - perhaps you could plan to do some excursions alone with the kids or something like that. Chances are they will appreciate a little quiet time to just sit by the pool and read or something too. It just tends to minimize hurt feelings if everyone knows what to expect ahead of time. As long as it's managed properly, multi-generational trips are a great way for families to spend quality time together.

Lisa

Old 04-28-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks Lisa, that's exactly what I am trying to minimize. We are already staying 2 nights longer than them, so that helps, but the grandparents adore the grandchildren, and I want to make sure we do just as you have suggested. May dinner alone with the kids one night or girl time and guy time. Some sort of arrangements that keeps us from driving each other nuts. LOL Maybe we can arrange a certain time each day when we have a few hours of alone time or something of that nature. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Being up front seems like it will be best.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Family Trekker

A suggestion would be to make plans for yourself and your hubby, and suggest that they do the same. For example, ask them if they'd mind keeping the kids while you and hubby go for a walk on the beach for two hours -- at the same time, tell them when you get back, THEY can go have some 'alone time' to themselves (while you and kids spend time at the pool, or go on an excursion of some kind.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks, that sounds like a wonderful idea. Let's hope they go for it. They won't even travel alone, so we will see if they feel like they need time alone. My mom is pretty understanding, but my dad is a little less independent when it comes to travel.