Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Southwest US

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Southwest US Southwest US family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in the Southwest. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
Southwest Family Travel Deals
Southwest Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Default Easter Brunch in Vegas

We are celebrating Easter weekend in Vegas this year. It is a combination 40th birthday party weekend for a friend. We are also all wanting to do Easter Brunch together. I haven't been since 1998, so I am, wondering if anyone has any good tips on Brunches. We are staying at Mandalay Bay and there will be 24 of us, and Vegas buffets are nice, but we are looking for something a little more special.

On another note, we have never been away on a holiday with the kids before. How do you handle visits from the Easter Bunny when you are out of town?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Host & Charter Member

Lightbulb

Are all 24 in the group staying at Mandalay Bay? (love that place!!) because if they are, it makes sense to stay right there and have brunch. If so, I would call the hotel and see if they might even already have special Easter brunch planned or, since you are a large party, inquire as to whether or not they can arrange something for your group in the hotel - group rates always rock although there is a possibility that it might be "prix fixe" on Easter Sunday, not only at Mandalay, but at all the big hotels. However for some reason, and I'm assuming there will be other children in the group besides yours, the MGM Grand immediately came to mind because they have lots of great theme restaurants based on the movies MGM has made. Lots of fun there for grown ups and kids. (But I'd still stay at Mandalay!) So it might be worth calling them too. However I'm quite sure the Mandalay Concierge can handle finding you a place, if not in the hotel, but elsewhere in Vegas that will work for your group. The concierges know everything! I'd not wait long either as things will likely book up since it's a holiday and weekends in Vegas are always busier than weekdays as those living close drive in.

Finally as for the Easter Bunny, pack along whatever goodies the Bunny is planning to leave, AND freeze some baby carrots, wrap them in clear wrap and then place in small ziploc to collect condensation. If you are not flying (I was worried about how a real carrot might look in scanned baggage - these days, ya never know what they'll do!) bring one or two real carrots, likewise frozen. You're in northern Cali so the trip should not take long (by air, I assume....a drive maybe 5 hours since your not near LA) and then once you get to the hotel room, and prying eyes are otherwise occupied, store the carrots in the back of the mini bar to keep from spoiling. On Easter morning, whip out the carrots, munch and as for what to put them on, there are more than one soap dishes in those glorious Mandalay bathrooms so just use only one and put the carrots out on that. Alternatively, there should be glasses in the room, or coffee cups - use what's there and improvise. So long as the carrots look bitten, how they are displayed won't matter Just the loot will!!!

Have a wonderful time at Easter, it sounds like a lot of fun getting together with friends/family in Vegas. Great weather too, love Mandalay's pool/beach/tubing area!! Turns me right back into a kid!

Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Awesome tips Host Colleen. Yes all of us are staying at Mandalay Bay, we did get a group rate and will be on the same floor. There are 6 other children as well. This isn't me shindig, but I am helping out a friend (and myself ultimately) for our stay. I will pass along all the great information regarding booking brunch to her. I am sure she will appreciate the assistance.

I would have never thought to bring carrots, what a great idea. We are indeed flying, and the car ride would be close to 9 hours, with kids in tow, maybe 10. But it will only be a short flight and we got really good rates with Allegiant for the short flight.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Host & Charter Member

If the Venetian can do a wedding for 29 for my friends that live in England, then Mandalay can do an Easter Brunch for your group! No doubt.

The carrots should make the flight fine if they are frozen; store in mini bar, hide in back, tell kids mini bar is NO NO (cause, well it is for us all, mostly - I've probably only caved in once or twice from desperation!) and you're all set. Probably can buy the Easter loot in Vegas too if you want to save on the packing!

Take lots of pics - sounds like it will be an awesome, memorable and FUN event for all.

Sorry for delayed reply; I'm a CPA and it's tax time; I'm overwhelmed! But after a night of films on TCM set in Italy, that's where my mind (and hopefully my body) is going to get me through it all. Or maybe I'll go just see my "English family" for chill time! I always say it: aside from priceless "moment in time" family memories, the best souvenir of a trip is new friends.

Family & friends trips are the best! I'm thinking right now of my childhood Easter trip to Disney (first visit!!) with my parents and my sister, seems like it was yesterday. And OHHHH what an Easter parade!!

Party ON!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM

The group became smaller and we each ended up doing our own thing. We enjoyed a nice Easter brunch at Envy the Steakhouse at the Renaissance Hotel. They had a yummy selections of food and in true Vegas style a piano player who sang. We had a nice time.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Host & Charter Member

Sounds like it was a nice Easter....I hope that everyone had a nice time; it sure sounds like brunch was delightful indeed! On group trips, everyone does seem to venture off in different directions with different interests - that's we've done in Vegas, so many things to do! I hope everyone was together on Easter and great memories are shared by all.

Jamaica next with grandparents - should be wonderful and I think there too, you'll find everyone with different interests and an easy way to schedule the days/evenings so that everyone has a great time. Are you staying at an all-inclusive? If so, then knowing what is offered & when, might make it easier to map it all out before departure. Otherwise, day one will just probably be everyone settling in and from then, the days can be planned. I see you already got lots of great advice; I think it will go very well. Everyone on island time, Jamaica - don't worry, be happy time!! No worries

Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM

We went to Jamaica last fall with my parents. We stayed at Beaches Negril and had a beautiful stay. We loved it so much we are planning to go again next year!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Host & Charter Member

Once upon a time, Negril wasn't as commonly visited as Ochos Rios or Montego Bay as it's a bit off the beaten path yet many sought it out for it's uniquely beautiful beaches and surroundings. I am glad that it is part of the mainstream now and that there are great places to go like Beaches, which has always been known to be (and was designed to be, in contrast to Sandals/Couples, for families) a great resort to choose because there is something for everyone!

You must be counting down to the next family trip to Negril, Jamaica - very exciting!