Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas

Forgot Your Password?

Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas Find, or share, unique tips and ideas to help with your family vacation. Tips exclusively for families, from families.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Need help for family vacation - please!

I would greatly appreciate any and all opinions/ideas/experiences to help me find a good vacation fit for our family of five. We've been struggling for months to come up with an idea that both fits everyone's interest and is available. In order to get out of the doghouse with my wife, I need to come up with something good. I'd sincerely appreciate any help. Here's our basic situation:

3 kids - 17yr girl, 15yr boy, 12yr boy, and my wife and I.
We live in central WI and need to stay in a budget under $6000. Could drive down to Chicago (closest airport is Appleton)if we had to fly cheap, but can also drive.
We only have a week that would fit into the June 7-17th time frame.
12yr old is fine with whatever we do - easy to please.
15yr old boy likes doing whatever I do.
17yr old girl is tough. She's an experienced horse rider and would love to do something with horses, yet she's also "all girl" and wouldn't mind beaches, sun, etc.
Wife is pretty easy to please and would be up for anything, but she's partial to horses too.
Myself - I love to fish inland waters and not all that big on deep sea or fly fishing for trout in a stream. Was hoping to be able to get away and go bass fishing or something.
We all love to eat at decent restaurants and try different food.

Here's our dilemnas:
Distance - can't drive out west or out east as it will eat up at least 4 days of the 7 day limit. Could fly, but cuts into budget.
Sightseeing - good for an hour or two, but only my wife is interested after that.
Timing - Early June means cold water in the north (white water rafting, etc.)
Crowds - really don't like staying at a crowded location, we'd like to get away from it if we can.
Things we've talked about but can't seem to find anything just right: Dude ranches, Beach resorts, Yellowstone, etc.

We had found the absolutely perfect place at the Gunflint Lodge on the MN/Canadian border that offered everything we were looking for, but after being told there was space, found out they made a mistake and it's all booked. Had a women's horseback riding retreat that week, a lakehouse for rent with indoor spa, on the water loaded with pike and bass, and even a fine dining restaurant - all in the middle of the northwoods. Now everything we look at isn't as complete or good.

This is more than I have typed in three years which goes to show my desperation. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Hello Nick atnite,

Welcome to Family Vacation Critic. I was reading post and wondered if you are a member of Costco member. I was doing some research and saw that there in an all inclusive in Cancun from Appleton for 5 nights some where in the 6,000.00 range. June is just around the corner and is a very popular vacation time. I am sure there is something out there for a family of five that you will all love though.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Another thought might be a 5 day cruise in the Carribean?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Family Adventurer

Smile Cruise

I also, thought of a cruise right away. Something for everyone, and you are 'somewhat' close to a port (NY/NJ). Staying on budget on a cruise is a combination of luck, timing, and some self control
HAL Volendam, 2009 - 7 day Alaska Inside Passage
Coral Princess, 2009 - 17 day Panama Canal Full Transit
RCI's Liberty of the Seas, 2011 - 6 day Western Caribbean

Skied in Lake Tahoe, Utah, Banff National Park, throughout Alberta, Whitefish.

DisneyLand - 6 times and counting!
DisneyWorld - 1 time

Camped all over Alberta and BC, Yellowstone National Park, South Dakota, Montana