Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Friendly Resorts & Hotels > Family Vacation Rentals

Forgot Your Password?

Family Vacation Rentals Everything you need to know about family vacation rentals!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Location wedding w/teens

Does anyone have suggestions for an economical location wedding for a blended family of 2 parents with kids 13, 15, 23,26? We'd like to get married on a beach just with our 4 children and nobody else.

Considering U.S. Islands in Caribbean, Florida, someplace where there are U.S. laws govern and getting married would be relatively easy and please, not to pricy. It would serve as our honeymoon too, so we'd want a little romance and opportunity to separate from the kids for a day (like to another island nearby), but then come back.

The kids like pools, horseback riding, sailing, scuba, tennis, ocean activities, parasailing, surfing, the beach, wave runners, teen and twenty-something activities (including a bar for the older ones!)

Ideally we would rent a house with 4 bedrooms on the water somewhere where there were activities, or stay in a hotel or club med type of place. One week would be perfect and $3-7k inclusive. Suggestions for our wedding during spring break in April?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Host & Charter Member

Lightbulb

Two words: Florida Keys!

The best wedding I've been to OF ALL WEDDINGS I've been to was a blending of families destination wedding and it was in Key Largo. It was also the best bang for the buck as well because when the bride, a great friend, told me afterwards what it cost, I'd have never believed such a wonderful event could have ever been that affordable and budget friendly! Also, no passports required, everything done in US$$.

The wedding ceremony was held on a boat at sunset - the sunset behind the couple with the children by their sides, it was quite an amazing scene - and then when we docked, we were given "leis" (the floral necklaces) as we disembarked the boat and proceeded over to the hotel which had set up a tent on the beach for the wedding ceremony that was amazing. Great food, great band and great entertainment, including an island themed dance troupe performing native dances from various exotic island locations around the world - all very family friendly of course, such as in a luau.

The hotel did EVERYTHING and in terms of lodgings, they even gave them a huge suite that slept several people and had a wrap around terrace, ocean view. We had the bridal shower there one night before the wedding.

I am sure if you want your ceremony on the beach, it can be easily arranged.

I've had many, many family trips to Florida and lots of family IN Florida and the beaches are all lovely BUT there is something about being in the Florida KEYS that feels very unique...in a way, not Florida, somewhat Caribbean and laid back, easy going. There are lots of fun things for your guests to do in the Keys, especially at Largo.

On the day many of us arrived, we all met at the hotel/reception/lodging site and spent a day in/around the pool - a great start to an amazing, unforgettable event. Also, it was the first ever wedding where I actually met and spent time with every guest AND the couple, the kids etc. I still have the lei!!!

It was easy to find affordable lodgings for all the guests ( we were 40 total including the couple and children I believe) and getting to the Keys is easy from either Ft Lauderdale or Miami airports. Even had a discount AND an upgrade on the rental car

If you are all mostly east coast based (there were guests from Michigan at this wedding) it's a fabulous destination for a wedding. Oh and my friend planned the entire wedding without ever having to take a trip down there in advance - I think finding her dress was the hardest part! But I think that's the toughest thing for most brides!!

Oops, almost forgot - after party! There was a Tiki Bar at the hotel and so anyone of age, still awake etc. went there to keep the party going.....the couple disappeared quickly and I believe for one night, there was an extra room.

Congratulations to you, yours and your new family to be!!