Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Theme Park Vacations > Other Theme Parks

Forgot Your Password?

Other Theme Parks Discuss all the theme parks that aren't Disney. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Default Legoland-California

I have a few free passes for Legoland this year and we have never been. We are traveling to Southern California in the fall. My children will be 9 and 11 at that time. Is it worth the extra hour drive to go? Anyone have any first hand experience and or tips?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 PM

Your post did not say where you were driving from, I'm assuming OC because of the hour drive. I think it is worth the drive. Your kids may be a bit older for Legoland but there are certainly rides and other things they will appreciate. Legoland is pretty small and generally not packed like Disney or Knotts or Universal. The area Legoland is in is really beautiful and I think you would enjoy it.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Default Definitely worth it if your kids have an interest in Legos

We visited Southern California a few years ago when my son was 9. He is very much "into" Legos, and he wanted to visit Legoland more than Disneyland. He loved it and we thought it was fairly enjoyable. The rides are not all that memorable, but there are play areas set up where they can build something and then have it put on display. There are also plenty of places for parents to sit or have a rest, while the kids are building something. The best part of the visit was the area with all the iconic sites built out of legos (Taj Mahal, Sidney Opera House, Mt Rushmore ) and various US cities like New Orleans, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and New York also recreated. My son also enjoyed the absolutely *huge* lego store. Not sure it is a good value at full price, but if you have coupons (like you mentioned) I think it is a fun stop. Not to mention, it is close to San Diego and there are several really cool places to visit with kids in the vicinity. In fact, there is a Southern California pass (or it is called something like that) that has choices for the zoo and it seems like something else (maybe Seaworld?). I seem to recall that the other choices on the pass were more in the LA area.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Thank you very much shoulders3 and welcome to Family vacation Critic Forum.

We will have 2 free passes while we are down there and have actually never taken the kids to the San Diego area yet. I am grateful for your detailed perspective of the park. The iconic sites sound very interesting and perhaps us adults will be able to enjoy the park a bit too then. My son really is a big "yes" for Legoland, my daughter not so much. I'll be sharing the information you gave me in aiding the final decision to go. Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 PM

We took our two girls to Legoland when we visited San Diego (they would have been 14 and 7 at the time). Neither of them have ever been into Lego but they were keen to go. It was quite busy when we were there (New Year's Eve) and the lineups for the rides were extremely long. I think we only did a couple of the rides intended for younger kids as the girls weren't willing to wait more than an hour to try any of the other rides. MiniLand was by far the most impressive part of the park as far as I was concerned - we had a great time wandering around and checking out the miniature cities built from Lego - the details are amazing. Having done it once, I wouldn't do it again but I do think that it is worth seeing particularly if you have a Lego fan in the family and having discounted passes is definitely a plus.

Lisa

Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Thank you Host Lisa.