Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas > Single Parents

Forgot Your Password?

Single Parents Single parents, unite! Single Parent Travel Tips

Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Community Manager

Default Single Parent Vacations

Single parents face several unique challenges when it comes to vacationing with their kids. While the main goal is to spend quality time together as a family, you should be able to have some adult fun in the process, sans chi...

More...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

Theme park and water park annual passes have been extremely helpful to me as a single parent over the years. Especially if you live in a reasonable driving distance from the parks, they can give you the freedom of many weekend trips over a year while saving the majority of your vacation funds for a larger event, like a cruise. Right now my son (age 14) and I have the annual waterpark only passes for the two Disney waterparks, Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach. This is a great deal, only $99.95 for access to both parks for a full year, no parking fees, no blackout dates. Since we live less than two hours away from Orlando, we can make Sunday trips when the park is least full and drive home without the cost of a hotel. Or if we want to stay a longer period, we can pay the cost of the hotel without the additional ticket cost, as they are already purchased (as we are doing this weekend for Memorial Day.)

I like this because it allows my son and I to spend lots of fun time together without breaking the bank, plus extended family members will sometimes join us also for group outings. We both like knowing we're not stuck at home on a weekend if we don't want to be. And it gives us more vacation time and still able to save for our cruises and camping trips.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Default Advice needed for first single parent vacation

Hi everyone!

I am planning a vacation this summer, first time as a single parent, and even though I have flown lots of times, all of a sudden I feel anxious about flying and being on a long plane ride with kids. My kids helped me pick our destination, so I would feel terrible about canceling.

But has anyone else felt uneasy about traveling even though you have taken plane rides before? We are flying because I do not enjoy long car rides. We have plans for on the plane, movies and games, books and coloring. But the more I think about it, the more anxious I get!

I would appreciate any input and thank you!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

I have only had one "flying" vacation with my son when he was 8 - in 2005 we flew to Jamaica roundtrip from Orlando. I felt very uneasy! I'm well aware that flying is safer than driving, but - that's hard to keep in mind when you're thinking about that metal tube gliding through the clouds, lol. I kept thinking, what if something happens, it'll be my fault my son was on this plane! But I didn't let it stop us, and we had no serious problems, and I am planning another vacation involving air travel for 2014.

We did encounter a few learning experiences. First and foremost, neither my son or I could fly on a regular basis - it REALLY hurts our ears! On the trip to the island, my son ended up with his head buried in my shoulder crying silently for half the time because it hurt so bad. I had not planned for this at all! For the return trip, I bought Dramamine and wax ear plugs - no pain! Although, the Dramimine really knocked us out, we both slept on the plane and I had to really work to wake up to deal with the airport when we landed, so maybe a half dose next time.

The other thing we encountered was that our return trip flight was changed from nonstop to a stop in Miami and then the second leg from Miami to Orlando. Miami airport was awful, had to get the luggage and go through customs, then go through security and turn over the luggage again, then rush to another terminal because they changed their minds where they were parking the plane.

So basically, I am recommending taking medication into account and also just give yourself plenty of time so you can stay cool and deal with any changes without getting stressed. Treat it all as an adventure for your kids, and they won't know the difference. Sounds like you are well prepared with things to keep them busy. Also, I kept emergency contact numbers for my family in my purse and pockets, and in my son's pocket and carry on, just in case. My worst nightmare was something happening to ME, and my son being without any adult help, so I wanted contact numbers available so my family could be notified quickly if they were needed.

Have a great trip!!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Hi Ellanora,
My daughter and I both suffer horribly from ear pain when flying as well. I recently read about a product called "earplanes" that are supposed to work very well at relieving pressure. I'm going to buy some to try on our vacation this summer. I don't want to cause you any more stress but it's not a great idea to take sleeping medication when you are flying as you wouldn't be in any condition to get yourself and your son off the plane in the event of an emergency. Even though it's highly unlikely that anything would happen it's best to have your wits about you just in case.

I am a bit of a nervous flyer even though I fly several times a year. I always get nervous on take off and landing and whenever there's turbulence but I take some deep breaths and never let my kids have any idea that I'm worried. And as nervous as it makes me, I would never stop flying because it's the only way to get to many of the places I want to go.

Lisa

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Thanks for the tips

Thank you for the replies and I am glad I am not the only one a little nervous.

How far have you flown with your daughter? That is a good point too not to let the kids in on my fears and same here, flying is a great way to get places.
We will be flying to California and going to Legoland.

I will pack some tylenol for any ear pain, thanks again.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Lisa View Post
Hi Ellanora,
My daughter and I both suffer horribly from ear pain when flying as well. I recently read about a product called "earplanes" that are supposed to work very well at relieving pressure. I'm going to buy some to try on our vacation this summer. I don't want to cause you any more stress but it's not a great idea to take sleeping medication when you are flying as you wouldn't be in any condition to get yourself and your son off the plane in the event of an emergency. Even though it's highly unlikely that anything would happen it's best to have your wits about you just in case.
Thanks for the heads up on the new product - I will definitely check it out when we fly again. Unfortunately at the time, there were not many options available in a Jamaican gift shop other than Dramamine!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha View Post
Thank you for the replies and I am glad I am not the only one a little nervous.

How far have you flown with your daughter? That is a good point too not to let the kids in on my fears and same here, flying is a great way to get places.
We will be flying to California and going to Legoland.

I will pack some tylenol for any ear pain, thanks again.

Hi Samantha,
How old are your children and how many hours will your flight be?
I am originally from Peru, so I have travelled there with my son since he was 9 months old until he turned 5. I took direct flights from NYC that lasted 8 hours. We travelled late at night that way my son and I could sleep through the night. When he was an infant I gave him a bottle of water or milk during take off and landing; when he got older a gave him a sippy cup. I think that chewing gum also helps to avoid the ear pressure.
Two years ago we took a trip to Europe. My son was concerned because he heard in the news about the Air France crash, but I assured him that everything would be fine.
As parents we have to remain calm and be positive so that our children will feel the same way.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 PM

Default Flying Solo w/ your kids

Hey Samantha,

Recently my two boys (Ages 6 and 3) and I flew. I am very used to flying but the last time my two boys flew they couldn't remember it. I didn't have anxiety over flying but I can see your point. Ultimately make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and get checked in and past security. Your kids will do the rest, we had a blast when we flew and people are so very helpful when they see and know that it is just you and your children.

Just have fun with it, make a game out of it and suredly let your children help out with the small things. I purchased a snack and drink and had my boys carry the very small bag, they loved this and knew that they were helping our travels.

Be safe and smart, have a fun trip.

David