Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Europe

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Europe Europe family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in Europe. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
Europe Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Family Adventurer

Default Europe for Xmas?

Any ideas for Europe at Xmas for a 14 y.o. and almost 17 y.o. and 50 y.o. Mom & Dad? Prefer french speaking country to support 2nd language learning at school.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Host & Charter Member

Default French Christmas

Well, your options in Europe are:
France (of course)
Belgium
Luxembourg
Monaco (French & Italian spoken)
Corsica (the island)
Switzerland (one part is deemed French but most Swiss speak all of the languages spoken in Switzerland)

Anyone think I forgot someplace? So do any of those places interest you?
I think Belgium, especially Bruges, might be particularly charming at Christmas, ditto for a little French hamlet in French Switzerland. Switzerland just oozes the warm fuzzies for me round that time, I dunno.......

I LOVE Paris and it's so pretty when decorated but they start decorating it in November and so I've seen that. You'd maybe want to be somewhere in the Alps for Christmas I think.

Anything tickle your fancy?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Belgium

I would have thought Brussels rather than Bruges if you're looking for a Francophone experience - Bruges is in Flanders, and although French is spoken there, the prevailing trend is for Flemish. Brussels has the advantage of a good Christmas market, and perhaps more to interest teenagers who, in my experience, tire quickly of a small town like Bruges.
Liege would also give a French speaking opportunity, with the superb Christmas market in Valkenburg (Netherlands) a short journey away.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

I also think Brussels sounds like a good idea. It's a really neat city and there's a lot to do there. If you're thinking of France, Strasbourg is really cute around Christmasstime, especially for the Christmas markets! They are really special.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Family Trekker

I am always researching Christmas vacations in Europe and quite like the look of Brussels as well. Sadly though, all the other ones I continue to come up with are based on my love for Christmas markets and culture and may not be so helpful to you.

So~Prague, Germany, England are always in my top 3.

Last edited by makelifehappen; 01-13-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Family Adventurer

I know I will sound biased because I lived in Strasbourg for a period of time, but Strasbourg is magical at Christmas. There is the famous Christmas fair. Petite France is covered in twinkle lights and street vendors sell hot drinks. Also, Strasbourg is still within train distance of Paris, which is an equally beautiful city at Christmastime.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Family Adventurer

If you haven't been there yet, you should definitely try Paris - it's unique. There are so many things to see... you can't fully explore the city in two weeks!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Family Adventurer

I'd suggest Paris as well. It's a very romantic place. I've never been there but I'm sure it's gonna be great.