Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Rockies

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Rockies Rocky Mountain family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels around the Rockies. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
Rockies Family Travel Deals
Rockies Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Family Trekker

Default Happy to help with Colorado!

Hi,

I am located in Northern Colorado. I am happy to answer any questions about the area!

Wendy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Family Adventurer

Wendy, we are planning on coming through Colorado on our roadtrip out west for DS high school graduation....We were talking about staying in Colorado Springs and going to Manitou Springs...Have you been to Manitou Springs? We want to see some ruins...Is this a good one to go to? I know Mesa Verde is supposed to be really good, but that would add several miles onto our trip which is already going to be around 4000 miles and 11 days...We are coming from Bryce Canyon up to Colorado...Is there anything that we need to see or do between there?

Any info would be appreciated...

Thanks
Darla

Old 06-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Family Trekker

Hi Darla,

Colorado Springs is wonderful! Be sure to go to the Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. Depending on the age of your kids, you may want to check out the North Pole, a cool amusement park. http://santas-colo.com/

Manitou Springs has a great collection of antique shops to poke through.

Mesa Verde is fascinating if you have the time. You really get a good feel for the cliff dwellers,etc. The Great Sand Dunes are amazing as well.

With both Mesa Verde and the Springs area, be sure to drink a lot of water due to the altitude. If anyone starts to feel lightheaded from the altitude, especially going up Pikes Peak, give them a few Tums. Tums, for some reason, helps with the symptoms.

Wendy

Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Family Adventurer

Wendy,
Thanks for the info.I've heard Colorado is very beautiful...This will be our first trip through Colorado....Thanks for the tip about the Tums....I'll definitely get some before we go...I love antiques but....3 teenagers and a husband.....maybe.

I had read about Garden of the Gods on the internet....It sounds great!! I really wish we had time to go to Mesa Verde....Maybe sometime in the future....We love to travel.

Thanks again.
Darla

Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Family Trekker

I feel your pain! 2 teenagers and a hubby here!

Our cross country trip a few years ago...I saw a lot of sports stadiums, but not one shop!

wendy

Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Family Adventurer

It's awful, isn't it? Even my DD doesn't like to shop....By the time we get home I'll be ready for some serious retail therapy......

darla

Old 06-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Family Trekker

Mine are all MALE! Last cruise, customs was amazed when I presented my slip and it said, 13 tee shirts. They said, no jewelry, no liquor? I pointed to my crew and said: Look what I travel with! and the customs agent just laughed!

I gave up shopping a very long time ago! Sigh!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Family Adventurer

Wow, you were seriously out numbered...This trip will be myself, hubby, DS 18, Ds girlfriend 17 and DD 14....DS girlfriend likes to shop some.....

I looooove to cruise....I've yet to talk any of my family into going with me....Always go with a group of friends.....ONe of these days I'm gonna get my hubby on one.....We have a cruise booked on the Dream June 5, 2010....Can't wait!!!!

darla

Old 06-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Family Adventurer

hope I don't get confused....I'm flipping back and forth between this site and cruisecritic.

Darla

Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Family Trekker

The Dream is on my list! It hits Port Canaveral in October!

We just got off the Legend and loved it. My kids love to cruise. Heck, they just love to travel...you say vacation and they have the suitcases out!

You may not get a chance, but if you do, Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Forest are great as well. There is an awesome pizza place in Estes called Bob and Tonys!

Also in Colorado Springs is 7 Falls which is nice to hike and the Cheyenne Mt. Zoo. The Airforce Academy is there and does tours as well.

Wendy