Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Caribbean

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Caribbean Caribbean family travel forum: Discuss family friendly Caribbean resorts and hotels. Get Caribbean vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
Caribbean Family Travel Deals
Caribbean Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 PM

Default Beaches Negril vs. Beaches Turks & Caicos?

We were thinking of booking a vacation to Negril, Jamaica in January of 2012! We are looking for an all-inclusive Resort with two kids and they will be 11yr old boy and 8 yr old girl. I have been to Bahamas and loved it and have been to Jamaica on a cruise and wanted to go back so bad so now is the time. I started looking at Beaches in Negril, Jamaica because I really love the Beach and it looks beautiful and I have heard great thinks about it. In doing my research, I started looking at the Beaches Resort in Turks & Caicos and the pictures and reviews are GREAT! Now, I am totally confused. I love the feel of Jamaica, the music, the activies --which the down side is that like the swim with the dolphins & Dunns RIver falls are far away but I know my kids want to do it! Has anyonw been to both? If yoiu have which would you prefer...not just the resort but also the music, beaches activites etc?? Please give me any adivise you have...Someone told me that they did a big Beaches renovation to the Beaches in Boscobel...has anyone stayed there??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyKeith View Post
We were thinking of booking a vacation to Negril, Jamaica in January of 2012! We are looking for an all-inclusive Resort with two kids and they will be 11yr old boy and 8 yr old girl. I have been to Bahamas and loved it and have been to Jamaica on a cruise and wanted to go back so bad so now is the time. I started looking at Beaches in Negril, Jamaica because I really love the Beach and it looks beautiful and I have heard great thinks about it. In doing my research, I started looking at the Beaches Resort in Turks & Caicos and the pictures and reviews are GREAT! Now, I am totally confused. I love the feel of Jamaica, the music, the activies --which the down side is that like the swim with the dolphins & Dunns RIver falls are far away but I know my kids want to do it! Has anyonw been to both? If yoiu have which would you prefer...not just the resort but also the music, beaches activites etc?? Please give me any adivise you have...Someone told me that they did a big Beaches renovation to the Beaches in Boscobel...has anyone stayed there??
Hello and welcome to the Family Vacation Critic boards. I 'm sure you will find some great answers to some of your questions here. I myself am staying at Beaches Negril this fall. This will be my first time to Jamaica and I am traveling with my son who will be 10, daughter who will be 8, and my hubby.

I chose Beaches Negril based on it's great reviews and many beautiful photos and activities. Beaches Negril has the added benefit of being located next to 7 mile beach. Beautiful white sands and a great kids program were just what we were looking for.

We are really excited to get into that swing of things in Jamaica. The whole Jamaican vibe is enticing. I do know that a lot of the tours will pick you up directly from the resort. Also I have read that Beaches resort guests have access tho other Beaches resorts in Jamaica, however travel is on your own. A lot of tours will include more than one activity so you can maximize your time traveling to other parts of Jamaica.

I have not been there yet, so I can't give you a comparison, but I hope that I was of some assistance. The boards often have reviews that can be helpful as well.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Family Adventurer

We're looking to go to Beaches Turks and Caicos over Spring Break. The biggest thing is figuring out whether or not we should just wait until summer. Wow....what a price difference! Would love to hear more from anyone with Beaches knowledge.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Family Trekker

Beaches T&C is the perfect family beach resort, IMHO. Go for the "Spring Break" -- take it literally, a "break" from work/school and cold weather! What I've never understood is visiting a Caribbean island in the summer! Nothing revitalizes like a warm vacation from the cold.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama View Post
Beaches T&C is the perfect family beach resort, IMHO. Go for the "Spring Break" -- take it literally, a "break" from work/school and cold weather! What I've never understood is visiting a Caribbean island in the summer! Nothing revitalizes like a warm vacation from the cold.
The fall is another great time for vacationing, we are lucky, our kids have a fall break, and we always find our vacation destinations to be a little less costly and a lot less crowded.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Thumbs up I've been to both

I was at Beaches T&C in 2002, and just got back from Beaches Negril a few weeks ago. My visits were 9 years apart but I will give you my impressions, assuming that things at Beaches T&C haven't changed much in that time.

If I were doing a one-week beach holiday and cost was not a factor, I would choose Beaches T&C hands down. The T&C beach is truly incredible, the kind of beach that makes you feel like you're on a desert island--deep white sand that your feet just sink into, and very quiet. The off-beach snorkelling is great if you walk down to the marine park at the end of the property, and the snorkelling boat took us out to an area where we could swim with sea turtles! The beach in Negril, while beautiful, is more packed down and less pretty than I was expecting. It's also full of people (seven mile beach is also seven miles of resorts packed side-by-side) and of course, vendors. The vendors don't give you a hard time or anything, but they all approach you at least once a day--the jet ski guy, the necklace guy, the hair-braiding lady, etc. and you have to give all of them a firm, polite "no thanks", which gets a bit tiresome after awhile. The snorkelling boat took us out to an area where boats from three other resorts were anchored, and lots of people from those boats were feeding the fish, which really spoiled the experience for me.

Beaches T&C has more restaurants to choose from, and more pools (although there is also a corresponding number of guests as well, so it's not necessarily less busy). I don't know if they've added water slides or any other kids stuff. Beaches Negril has a really fun lazy river, and two water slides (one fun, one too slow). There's also a splash pad area for little ones.

If I were staying at Beaches Negril I'd be quite hesitant to do a day trip to Dunn's River Falls as it would be a really long drive, meaning it would be expensive as well as tiring. For me there are more than enough resort activities to keep busy. This isn't to say that I'm reluctant to leave the resort, just that I think I get my money's worth by being there and doing the activities and eating the food that I've already paid (handsomely) for, and I save my day-tripping for when I stay somewhere cheaper without the benefits of an AI.

As for a vibe, I can't remember a lot about the vibe at T&C as was 10 years ago and my son was 18 months old, but there was a band playing most nights and a lot of the kids would dance. There wasn't much of a vibe to speak of at Beaches Negril either--the beach party didn't even have a live band playing which really disappointed me. Both resorts will have entertainment throughout the day--games at one of the pools, etc., and both will play reggae (and other music) over the speakers. We didn't spend any time at the bars in the evenings as our kids were too young to leave alone in the room, but I know they have games, karaoke, etc., most evenings.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Wow, what a great review ottowa travler! Maybe you have some photos of your recent travels you would like to post, we would love to see them.