Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas

Forgot Your Password?

Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas Find, or share, unique tips and ideas to help with your family vacation. Tips exclusively for families, from families.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Default Least expspensive way to travel between Orlano Resorts

We are staying at Walt Disney World in February and then going to Universal for 3 nights. We are using Magical Express to get to Disney, but what is the least expensive way to get to Universal and then back to the airport? We have used Interplex in the past, but am wondering if anyone knew of a better alternative, or a less costly one at least?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Family Adventurer

We rented a car while we were in WDW and Universal. We had a private house so it made alot of sense for us. We picked up the car at the airport and drove to Costco, did a grocery run, then to the house. We drove to WDW every day (parking was $14.00 per day - keep your receipt); I think Universal was $15.00 per day. We really liked not waiting for the crowded transportation. We had the convenience of being in air conditioning and sitting down. We used a coupon for the car rental and booked it on-line. We also rented their toll transponder, which was very handy. We did 3 days at Universal (go and see Blue Man Group!) - WWOHP was fantastic, but small and crowded. That took us two full days!! We also drove to Kennedy Space Centre, the mini golfs, Blizzard Beach, and the Polynesian Resort for the dinner show, and a mall or two. Yes, we paid for parking and the car rental and gas - the total for 15 days was just over $700 US; it was so worth it for us! Our last day, the car was freedom - our plane left later in the day, but we had to be out of the rental home by 10:00 am, so we had a drive around, hit some last minute shopping, and ate lunch. Very convenient! We returned the car at the airport and it was smooth as silk. If you do go this route, I would highly recommend a GPS to help you out with planning your route.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
World Travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Young Gang Mom View Post
We are staying at Walt Disney World in February and then going to Universal for 3 nights. We are using Magical Express to get to Disney, but what is the least expensive way to get to Universal and then back to the airport? We have used Interplex in the past, but am wondering if anyone knew of a better alternative, or a less costly one at least?
Are you saying you're spending the last 3 days at Universal--making the Magical Express NOT an option for getting back to the airport?

If you take a look at my frustrated whiny rant after our recent DW trip you'll see that I'm very much an advocate for a rental car while at Disney--and would think that keeping it through Universal is probably also wise.

You didn't say how many people you have in your family, but often the shuttles end up not being a great deal once you have 3-4 people and the cost of a small rental car is often not that high, esp. if you rent from a non-airport source...but if you need to get back to the airport, then perhaps renting there at the front end is the smartest way to go.

If cost is the #1 concern, then you'll be able to do the ME to WDW, there is a shuttle service from WDW to Universal that is inexpensive and will drop you off right at the front doors (can't recall the name, it's in the major guide books), then another shuttle to the airport. But if you can swallow a few extra bucks, the convenience of a rental car and the extra time you'll have to enjoy the sites has to be given value as well. We spent AT LEAST 8-10 hours on buses at WDW during our short 5 day visit to Orlando that could have been much better spent enjoying the parks, or our room or the pool, or a nice meal.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM

We are a family of 4 and are staying 5 nights at DW and 3 nights at a Universal Hotel. We only need transport twice, as Universal in within walking distance from the hotel and we like Magical Express and the bus system has always worked well for us while staying at Disney.

We often feel overwhelmed and find renting a car frustrating and tend to get lost,everywhere we go, lol. Even with GPS, so sad. I'm looking at about 175.00 for the two rides right now. A week of rental car and gas would be closer to 400.00.

I will look into those shuttles. Thinking that might be a good deal for us. Usually we use private transfers, but we are vacationing twice this year and are looking to save a little here and there.

Thanks for all the tips Charlie44 and fuscofamily5

Old 12-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Family Adventurer

Default Good luck with transportation

You're welcome! Good luck with finding alternative transportation. If you need/want any info from our recent trip (August for 15 days), let me know! I'm happy to help any way that I can.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Family Adventurer

Loved your 'whiny rant' - we had heard stories like that before; that was the main reason hubby said just rent a car. We were so glad that we did! Thanks for your story - maybe others will heed your words!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 PM
World Travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie44 View Post
Loved your 'whiny rant' - we had heard stories like that before; that was the main reason hubby said just rent a car. We were so glad that we did! Thanks for your story - maybe others will heed your words!
Thanks, it's a lesson learned. I think for those who simply can't justify the cost that the transportation system is more than adequate, and for certain routes, esp. when no transfer is required, it's preferable to use the Disney transport system (ie. resort to Downtown Disney) or for all day at a park then back home to your resort. But if you hope to/want to, have dinner elsewhere or plan to travel at peak hours you're going to really want a car of your own.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 PM

We are heading to Orlando the day after tomorrow. We have always stayed at a Disney resort in the past and used their transportation but this time we are staying off-site and renting a car - hopefully it works out!

Lisa

Old 12-27-2011, 02:03 AM

Good luck and have lots of FUN!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Family Adventurer

When you get there, ask the locals, get usually know about great deals.