Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Traveling with Kids > Tweens & Teens

Forgot Your Password?

Tweens & Teens Traveling with tweens or teens can be rough; get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families. Travel with Tweens and Teens

Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Family Adventurer

Default Tips for "cruising rules" for Teens

I love vacations; especially cruising. We have an upcoming cruise where we are leaving our oldest (who will be in college) home and will have our 14 year old daughter and she is bringing a friend of the same age. These are small town, sweet young ladies...what kind of ground rules are good to cover with them on a cruise? I want them to be free to participate and just have some common sense/knowledge of accpetable behavior etc... Such as I know to tell them not to set their drinks down and then drink out of them again (you just never know)...they are not allowed in anyone else's cabins....all I told my daughter so far was that I wanted to have them at dinner every night with us....they can do the organized activities all they want to as long as I know where to find them. Any other ideas for the "talk" haha about rules and behavior...not that it is their behavior I don't trust.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Family Adventurer

First, since your girls haven't cruised, I would say #1 rule is to always be with one other person (each other or an adult). Second, they need to inform you of their plans, ie teen club, swimming, going to a show. Have a pad of paper in the cabin so they can let you know of any change in plans. Having meals together (or at least a check-in at meals) is a good way to keep on top of plans. Make it clear that no one is to come into your cabin with them and they aren't permitted to go in other cabins . . . lots of public spaces to sit and talk.
Remind them to follow the rules set by the cruise line about the places they are permitted to be. Many karoake lounges become 18 and over at a certain point in the evening. Encourage them to be polite and the adults on the ship will be glad to have them cruising with them.
When we cruise with our boys, we don't try to load up on rules. We just remind them we like to know what they are doing and occasionally we like to do something with them, like play a trivia contest. Enjoy. . . you'll have fun.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Family Adventurer

This will actually be my daughter's 4th cruise, her friend's first though. My daughter just typically hung out with her older brother or us...and he kept an eye on her...I know with a buddy, she will want to be on her own more... the thought of taking someone else's child is kind of my main concern. I have known the young lady since she was a toddler and do not think she will give me any trouble, she is just very outgoing and trusting...and I want them to be aware without making them feel like they shold be afraid to enjoy themselves. I am working on the parent permission/medical release form...including allergies etc...any other ideas? THANKS!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Family Adventurer

It sounds like things will be fine. My boys are 19, 16, and 13. They also have been on several cruises. It sounds like your girls are the type I like my boys to hang out with. Remind the girls that it is perfectly ok to make friends while on the cruise but you don't know anyone very well in such a short time. So with that in mind, it is wisest to do your socializing in public areas where there is always a way to leave the situation if it starts to get awkward. (It might be wise to tell them NOT to give their cabin number out. Instead, pick meeting times and places.) I emphasize to my boys that I trust them, it's just that I don't want them to be in a situation that gets out of control. I also give them permission to use me as the "bad guy". It sounds like your girls will do fine if they "trust their guts".

Old 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Family Trekker

I would say to remind them not only are they not to go in someone elses cabin, but not to bring anyone in theirs. I have told my DS (11) that if he is in the cabin by himself, and someone comes in such as the room steward, he should leave immediately and find me.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Family Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&JFamily View Post
I would say to remind them not only are they not to go in someone elses cabin, but not to bring anyone in theirs. I have told my DS (11) that if he is in the cabin by himself, and someone comes in such as the room steward, he should leave immediately and find me.
I absolutely agree on this one. Just because a cruise line employee wears a uniform, it does not make him trustworthy. Please make your daughter aware of this. A friend of my was manhandled by a crew member and the creep actually told my friend that regular "laws" do not matter out at sea.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Family Trekker

My girls must follow the same rules on a cruise as they have at home: no going anywhere alone, must notify us of change of venue/location, (we use post-its, and they always know where to find us) follow curfew, don't take open drinks from anyone, can't go into anyone's room alone, or have anyone in our cabin alone, etc. They have been cruising with us for 13 years - yes, the curfews get later and later (later than dh's and mine - lol!) but the rules are followed. No problems so far, but we reinforce them before/during every cruise.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Those are all great suggestions. I am cruising with teens also this summer
(16,15,11). A few years ago I took the 3 of them on a cruise. I wanted to go to sleep so I went to get my daughter (she was with a friend she met on board). They were supposed to be in teen club but were not there. I then spent about 20 harried minutes searching the ship and found them at the midnight buffet. This time I will definitely make them use the sticky note or note pad idea. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Family Trekker

On our last 5 cruises dd17 (to be dd18 tomorrow!) goes to orientation the first night. She always meets a group of kids to hang with. After that first night, they meet at the club, and then leave and end up doing their own thing. They play basketball, hang out by the pizza station, find a quiet spot to sit and chat, etc. They pick and chose which club activities they want to do. During the day they meet at the hottub or pool, etc., at a certain time to hang. We do have another rule I forgot to mention: all excursions, port days, and dinners must be done as a family. Otherwise, on some cruises we would never see her!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Family Adventurer

I would say find out the rules that the Cruise line has. You didn't mention which line you were on? Some of them are very easy going and give the teens full reign on the ship, (I can think right off of MSC), even letting the kids in the Adult Clubs, lowering the drinking age at sea and so on. Other cruise lines have sets of rules that teens have to follow (curfews on a few). Start there. We use magnetic wipe off boards. Every day, we would eat dinner together and talk about what we were going to do the next day. This helps keep control. I always set a curfew and give the no one in the room/no going in rooms rule. But, that is a good rule in general since there are sooo many public places to meet, there is no point in meeting at rooms. We pick excursions that we are all going to do together before the cruise, and because we pick cruises with lots of days in port, this takes up most of our time. Some parents bring walkie talkies, but I have never felt I needed to use them, but it is a pretty common thing to see. I have cruised with my children's friends. The biggest mistake I ever made was assuming that their parents would permit the same things that I do. After that one error, lol, I always sit with the kids that are going and their parents to go over all the rules as well as how any infractions to the rules will be handled. It helps to let the kids know that their parents are still involved even though they aren't around and prevents any situations where they are allowed to do something their parents wouldn't approve of. (That sounds bad, so I have to say, it was a curfew issue that I set later than the parents at home thought was acceptable, lol). Hope these tips are helpful, enjoy your cruise.