Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Mid-Atlantic US

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Mid-Atlantic US Mid-Atlantic family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in locations from upstate New York to Williamsburg.
Mid-Atlantic Family Travel Deals

Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

Default Wash DC with Kids

Just returned from Spring Break in Wash DC with our two girls, ages 7 & 9. We rented a condo in the Eastern Market area (5 blks from a metro) (VRBO 326532). It was terrific. Having our own space and two tv's was critical. The girls were good from about 10am - 4pm each day for sightseeing and then they were done. We spent alot of time on the Mall at the museums - more than we thought we would. We thoroughly explored the Natural History Museum, American History Mus, and Air & Space. I'd say we spent over 3 hours in each. We had contacted our State Senator (6 months in advance) for tix to some attractions and were able to get: Capital, Bureau of Engraving and I got a timed entry to the Archives (Dec. of Independence, Bill of Rights) - all worth it. We didn't get White House (bummer) and we didn't plan ahead enough to get Wash Monument tix (get those online with Archives 6 months in advance). We did the "tourmobile" around to all the monuments and Arlington Cemetery. I thought this was overpriced ($96 for the 4 of us) and if my kids were older I would have rented bikes to do all that. It's very flat and pedestrian friendly. The weather was chilly in the AM but warmed up in the afternoon. The American History museum has lockers that are essentially free so if you bring a lunch or stuff you can stash it there during the day if you need. We didn't make it to the Spy museum, but we did do the Zoo which the kids enjoyed. For kids in 3rd/4th grade or a little older, I think DC is a great trip.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

What a fantastic trip! Thank you for sharing all the tips with everyone. Sounds like you did your research before you went. Getting tickets well in advance for those kind of attractions can save a lot of time and frustration. We would love to see some photos!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the report! My husband and I spent a weekend in Washington pre-kids and I would love to return now with my kids and spend some time there. You mentioned obtaining tickets to a number of sites ahead of time from your state senator. I'm just curious if you, or anyone else, knows if many of the sites are only open to U.S. visitors. We're Canadian and I'm particularly interested in whether or not we would be able to take a tour of the White House.

Lisa

Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Family Adventurer

Lisa, I live in DC and I can tell you that all of the museums, etc., are open to everyone. As for the White House, I was told I'd have to ask my member of Congress to help me get tickets, and obviously you don't have one of those. But maybe if you contact the Canadian Embassy they can answer your question or help you get tickets?

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks Sharse! I will definitely have to look into that because touring the White House would be a highlight for me!

Lisa

Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 PM

Default Zoo!!! And Metro

If you are going to DC with kids, you have to do the zoo! It was amazing and FREE! (Did I say, "Free?" Yes! It was FREE!!!)

They have 7 little lion cubs right now and we must have spent an hour just watching them ... they were so adorable and so fun! We were all enthralled with them!

Also, with kids, you have to do the Metro. Even if you have a car, make up an excuse to take the Metro somewhere. It is clean, efficient and easy to navigate ... very user friendly. It never occured to me that it would be such a kick for my kids, although I should have thought of it since we live in an area without public transportation. They thought it was a blast!

You can even take the Metro right to the zoo ... that's what we did.