Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Southeast US

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Southeast US Southeast US family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in the Southeast. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
Southeast Family Travel Deals
Southeast Family Hotels and Resorts

Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Family Adventurer

Default Fripp Island

In addition to Hilton Head we enjoy visiting Fripp Island (a little to the north of Hilton Head). This is a gated island with many homes and condo's for rent. There are no hotels and there aren't really any restaurants except for the golf and beach clubs. This is a wonderful family vacation destination.....lots of bike riding paths and everyone uses golf carts to get around. There are (not so) wild deer all over the island as well...and they are VERY VERY friendly. We always see alligators and lots of birds and deer. The beach is very similar to hilton head....certainly much smaller in size. And there are a couple of pools for guests with "resort privileges". There are two large golf courses and a couple of really nice play grounds. Definitely a worthwhile family beach destination in South Carolina.

I attached a picture of us on the beach at Christmas this past Dec 2008.
The weather was great for sandcastle building, bike and golf cart riding!

Judy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fripp (8).jpg (91.1 KB, 4 views)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Judy, thanks for the reviews. We are looking to bring our whole family of 7 next summer to Fripp Island or Hilton Head.

So nothing to really do other than the beach and bikes? My DH and I would be fine with that but we are taking:
Daughter 24 w/soon to be SIL
Son 21
Son 19
Son 16
Daughter 15

Perhaps HH would be better for us huh?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Family Adventurer

Default What do you like to do on vacation?

As I mentioned we LOVE Fripp as a vacation destination. But it is definitely the opposite of Myrtle Beach.....no resturant choices to speak of, no theaters, mini-golf, amusement parks, video centers or outlet malls! And a whole lot less people.

On Fripp there is LOTS of wildlife, beautiful bike paths, golf car rentals & 2 golf courses, playgrounds, a kids activity center, swimming pools & the BEACH. For your group...the beach, the pools (make sure you have access), riding bikes and golf carts, playing golf, and seeing the wildlife.

As for Hilton Head we like to stay in SeaPines and I enjoy that area very much as well. But I like it for many of the same reasons....beautiful bike paths, golf courses, playgrounds, swimming pools, and the BEACH! There are ALOT more restaurants, some shopping areas, a nature center, and more people at Hilton Head. You'd be MUCH more likely to rent a home in Hilton Head with a private pool for your group - which is something we like (unless we're at an ocean front condo).

From either destination I'd make sure to do a day trip to Hunting Island. And perhaps into Charleston.

If your group loves beautiful beaches either location will be great....check out VRBO and other internet rental sources for a perfect location & great deal.

Judy

Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Host & Charter Member

I was curious to learn about Fripp Island as it was very new to me. I did a search and found a link to an official South Carolina tourism web site and there it was! It is counted in the grouping of South Carolina's "Low Country" and while it seems to be known as a wonderful Wildlife Sanctuary, it is possible to drive onto the island, find accommodations and get around via the local mode, a golf cart!

It does sound family oriented and so I thought others might be interested as I was to find out more about this destination. Some people are always looking for new ideas.....here is one.

Check it out: http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com...pp_island.aspx

It is obviously best visited during warmer months and could be a nice change from the ordinary. Ya never know!