Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Traveling with Kids > Families of 5 or More

Forgot Your Password?

Families of 5 or More Large family? Find ways to travel with your family of more than four without breaking the bank.

View Poll Results: How many children do you typically travel with?
None 1 1.69%
1-2 9 15.25%
3-4 29 49.15%
5-8 20 33.90%
9+ 0 0%
The more the merrier. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Family Adventurer

Location: Usually Alaska, but we are at med school in the Caribbean.
Default Traveling with more than 4 children

Hello everyone,
We are a family with 5 children who travel a lot. We love traveling and *surprise* so do our children. Next year we will be traveling with 6 children!
We are not doing as much traveling this year as in the past because of medical school, but we will be done with this portion in 10 months and we are planning a cruise (NOT to the Caribbean!)
Are there any other "large" families who travel?

Last edited by sa.je.ca; 06-22-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Family Trekker

We are a blended family with four children ranging from 19 to 5; while we typically only travel with the 2 that live with us, sometimes the 3rd or 4th have/will come along. It is hard to find a place to stay with 6!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

We have 5 children ages 5-14 and we LOVE to travel.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

When planning your cruise-- check on the minimum age to travel. I think for most itineraries it is at least 6 months and some are even older.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Family Adventurer

My husband and I have 10 children. Four are now grown and gone (with another one leaving for school later this summer), but we still regularly travel with 5 or 6 children and once a year we rent a place for everyone (our number is now 14 with spouses) to join us. We alternate each year between beach vacations and lake vacations with our entire family.We use VRBO or Homeaway for all of our house rentals. I really enjoy spontaneous getaways so we're always keeping our eye out for great deals. The last few years we've taken our children on cruises. It really is a great way to let the children see other cultures and appreciate all the blessings we have in America.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Family Adventurer

Default We're a blended & foster family

We have six kids between us...(four of them are grown now...but travel with us occasionally, our 23 year old just joined us for our Alaska cruise; and we took 6 kids (3,4,8,9,19,&22) on our caribbean cruise last year.

But in addition to our step, adopted & bio kids....we are also foster parents and almost always have a couple extras. We were at Seabrook Island on the coast of South Carolina a few weeks ago with 5 kids under 10.

As another poster mentioned...we almost always use VRBO, cyberrentals or any of a number of other condo/villa/home rental sites...in order to accomodate our bunch in a larger place.

Love traveling with our kids!
Judy

Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Family Adventurer

We too have 5 kids. Traveling with all of them can get sticky at times. But for the most part since the 3 youngest are 7,5 and 5,we just say we have 4 kids and have the 3 boys share a bed (usually the king sized one) for now.

Jamie- 33 year old mom to 5 great kids ages:
14,10,7,5,and 5

Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Family Adventurer

Default We have 6 kids

My husband and I have 6 children ages 20, 19, 16, 12, 11, 7. There are 4 girls and 2 boys. We travel at least two times a year for at least 14 days each trip. We have used many combined weeks of timeshare and hotels stays to extend the trip and now we do cruises with an extra week on land. Last year we had the opportunity to take my 16 yo's friend. We are from PA, so we usually do the eastern states and Canada. This year we made it cross country to California and back, stopping in 10 cities over 24 days. It was a awesome drive. Unfortunately we only took the younger 3 children on this one. It's so nice to see other families who enjoy traveling with their kids. I am one of those parents that would like to travel year round with the kids in a RV(we used to be homeschoolers).

Old 12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Every year since 1996, I've gone to Disney World. I have continued that tradition with my kids (12, 6, 4) as well

Two years ago, we did a road trip to visit my parents down in Florida and decided to take our time down and back. We discovered that our kids LOVED it!! Made a stop in Charlottesville, VA to see Monticello. Made a stop in Chattanooga, TN to see Rock City. OTW we made cavern stops and other 'natural wonder' stops.

So, that Christmas we decided to start doing away with buying the kdis tons of gifts (besides what Santa brings) and presenting a Family Trip Suitcase. In this suitcase, I fill with clues that each child takes to guess where we are going the following year. They love figuring the clues and placing the pins in our map, AND they have something else to look forward to in the following year. This year, 2009, we treated them to Arizona, and again, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had a lot in common with our little family besides Disney!!!

This year, opening up their suitcase was just as exciting to them as finding a Wii under our tree.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

I have four children 5,8,9,11. We take larger Vacations about every 2 years and smaller ones more frequently.

Cheryl

Last edited by Purpleprincess; 03-25-2010 at 04:28 PM.