Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Photo Forum

Forgot Your Password?

Family Photo Forum Share your family photo here! If we use your photo on the site, we will send you a FamilyVacationCritic.com tote bag!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Asst. Community Manager

Default Family Travel Photo of the Week by fuscofamily5!

Every Wednesday we choose a member photo as our Family Travel Photo of the Week!

If we choose your photo, you'll win a FamilyVacationCritic.com totebag!

This week's photo is by fuscofamily5

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

An amazing photo fuscofamily5!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
World Travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Young Gang Mom View Post
An amazing photo fuscofamily5!
Thank you--that was actually much trickier to set up than usual, but the lighting was good there and the angle with Budda at Po Lin monastery outside the village of Ngong Ping during our visit to Hong Kong in March of 2011.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Family Vacation Critic Host

Great photo! Were you using a tripod or did you get lucky in finding someone to snap such a great pic of your family? I found it very frustrating this summer at a couple of stops on our vacation when I took countless photos of other people that I set up very carefully to get a great shot for them. In return, I got shots that either cut off whatever we were standing in front of or all but the hat on the head of my younger/shorter daughter. Finally, I gave up and just resolved myself to my role as family photographer who appears in next to no pictures.

Lisa

Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
World Travelers

I used a tripod, just too hard to explain how to use my camera, adjust zoom, select the auto-focus zone and how I want the shot composed--and then expect them to get us all smiling with eyes open to people--particularly in Hong Kong!

My tripod went everywhere with me--often unused, but indispensible when I need it.

Tamara's Uluru by efusco, on Flickr

You have a couple of options--learn to use the auto timer on your camera--almost all have one these days. Usually there's a wall, post, something you can set the camera on. Or, you can just zoom out extra wide on the shot so the "photographer" you find can't help but include everyone/everything in the shot, then just manually go back and crop it in Photoshop after the fact.

There are a number of durable, light weight tripods out there these days. I recommend the carbon fiber ones if you can afford it as they are by far the best combination of light weight and sturdiness. Then, don't skimp on the tripod head. Also lots of options, I think that the 'pistol grips' are fantastic for amatures as they're easy to use and the better ones work quite well--they just have the down side of adding bulk and length.

Finally, consider a "Gorilla Pod"--the flexiball 'ball leg' tripods. You can wrap the legs around posts, trees, rails, whatever and they make them large enough to support up to 20 lbs, so even if you shoot a DSLR with a fairly large lens it could work for you.

Last edited by fuscofamily5; 10-28-2011 at 12:46 PM.