Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Mid-Atlantic US

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Mid-Atlantic US Mid-Atlantic family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in locations from upstate New York to Williamsburg.
Mid-Atlantic Family Travel Deals

Old 07-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Family Adventurer

Default Williamsburg VA ideas

Besides the obvious of old Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Busch Gardens, are there any things that are 'not to be missed'?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Host & Charter Member

Hi Suekay,

Well, without knowing how many days you are going to be traveling, it's kind of hard to say.

But I can add that it is quite interesting to take the Naval Water Tour (that is, if they still do it??) on "Hampton Roads" at Norfolk Naval Base. It was really quite something to see some of those massive ships and subs tied up and in port for service etc.

Also, none of where you mentioned is that far from wonderful Virginia Beach! It is a GREAT family destination with SO SO MUCH FUN in store for everyone. The beaches are great, there's mini golf, boardwalk, take a stroll down Atlantic Avenue. I had some very memorable times on my trip to VA Beach, to which we also added Busch Gardens and the Naval Base visit so it really was a great trip. I think we just didn't have time for Williamsburg and I believe we were gone for a week.

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can help you out some more!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Family Adventurer

Wink Williamsburg

Thanks, Colleen.
I love the idea of the Naval water tour. One of the guys going with us was in the navy, and helped restore and is a docent on the SS New Jersey in Camden NJ. That's a great place to tour if you ever get to the Philly.Atlantic City area. We'll skip VA Beach because I live at the beach in NJ. But I will definitely check on the tour. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Family Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suekay3 View Post
Thanks, Colleen.
I love the idea of the Naval water tour. One of the guys going with us was in the navy, and helped restore and is a docent on the SS New Jersey in Camden NJ. That's a great place to tour if you ever get to the Philly.Atlantic City area. We'll skip VA Beach because I live at the beach in NJ. But I will definitely check on the tour. Thanks!
Suekay - The Wisconsin is docked in Norfolk at Nauticus, where the Hampton Naval Roads Museum is located. Sounds like your fellow vacationer would be right at home.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Family Adventurer

Perfect! Thanks nybumpkin!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Family Adventurer

Quote:
Perfect! Thanks nybumpkin!
Noticed you're from Margate - My dad was from Atlantic City. My grandmother had an apartment building on States Avenue until the mid-60's, when they tore most of the neighborhood down - she then moved to Ventnor. We spent many vacations "down the shore."

Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Family Adventurer

Small world! My parents bought here in the mid 60's and my husband, 2 boys, and I visited every weekend. In 2003 we retired here and I inherited the house, but it was old, need a lot of updating, and the property taxes were horrible because it was in the beach block. We sold it and bought a great condo 1 block back from the beach, much more affordable! We almost bought in Ventnor. If you were to come back you'd see lots of changes!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Besides the obvious of old Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Busch Gardens, are there any things that are 'not to be missed'?
There is now a Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg. And I assume you know about Water Country USA for those summer visits? Also, Yorktown is neat since that is the place of the British surrender. The Southside (ie Norfolk, Portsmouth, Va Beach, Chesapeake) have all kinds of museums, like Nauticus, the zoo, the marine science museum etc. On the other side, Williamsburg is only about 45 minutes from Richmond, which houses the state capital and has lots of Civil War history, and a great area on the river for shopping and eating. And it is about 2 hours from Charlottesville, the home of UVA and amazing wine country.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Family Adventurer

Thanks! I had forgotten about Yorktown! I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the other ideas too.