Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas > Interests & Activities > Family Cruising

Forgot Your Password?

Family Cruising Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Forum
Family Cruise Reviews from our sister site, CruiseCritic.com
More Family Cruise Resources from CruiseCritic.com

Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Family Adventurer

Question Cruising safety

We are planning a cruise in Hawaii in Feb. with our son (who will turn 3 during the cruise) and our 9-year-old daughter. It is a week long trip around the different islands on NCL Pride of America, which I'm sure will be great fun for us all. My only concern is my son. I've read the cruise boards about how great it is to have a balcony, but I'm not sure if we would be able to keep our little one occupied long enough to spend any time in our small cabin - even if it did have a balcony. I'm sure some of you know how active boys at this age are, would it be safe to have him in a room with balcony? Or would I spend too much time scared if I turned my back on him for a moment? Has anyone traveled with a toddler on this or other cruises and what is your opinion on spending an extra thousand dollars to have a place you may only use to change and sleep in?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

In all honesty if you want to see out I would get an ocean view. You can still see outside but you don't have to worry about him getting out. The balcony doors are VERY heavy and difficult to open. The bad thing is there are chairs on the balcony that can be pushed around. DD has been cruising since she was 2 1/2. In fact at 2 1/2 we did a 7 day Hawaiian cruise. I had no problems keeping her occupied on the ship or the cabin. We usually have an inside cabin. She had her toys that she played with. Make sure your toddler has a spot in the cabin or a bag to keep all of their stuff in the room. It will make your cabin less cluttered. Make sure you take a few items to dinner for him to play with. Also on NCL they do offer free child care for 3 year olds. It's great to take advantage of this so that you can get a break. Another thing to be prepared for are no tubs in the cabin. If your child is a tub kind of kid make sure you prepare them for showers. You can always tell them it's a magic cruise ship waterfall? LOL! I'd also pack tear free shampoo for your 3 yo. Showers w/ small kids are always interesting and you don't need any extra crying from stinging eyes!
Also remember to stock up on juice in the morning. Breakfast is usually the only time you can find apple juice on the ship. Take a small drink container or two to fill up at breakfast and store in your in-room fridge. I would also grab a few chocolate milk cartons too! If there is no chocolate milk and your child has chocolate milk addiction take the white milk to the bar. They always have chocolate syrup.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Family Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripFanatic View Post
Another thing to be prepared for are no tubs in the cabin. If your child is a tub kind of kid make sure you prepare them for showers. You can always tell them it's a magic cruise ship waterfall? LOL! I'd also pack tear free shampoo for your 3 yo. Showers w/ small kids are always interesting and you don't need any extra crying from stinging eyes!
Thanks! I'll have to try the magic waterfall, though I'm not sure he'll fall for it or not? I have put him in the shower with me when he wasn't feeling well ... he didn't mind then, but he wasn't two then either - lol!

I hadn't thought about juice and milk ... thanks for the tip!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherette7769 View Post
Thanks! I'll have to try the magic waterfall, though I'm not sure he'll fall for it or not? I have put him in the shower with me when he wasn't feeling well ... he didn't mind then, but he wasn't two then either - lol!

I hadn't thought about juice and milk ... thanks for the tip!
You are welcome!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherette7769 View Post
We are planning a cruise in Hawaii in Feb. with our son (who will turn 3 during the cruise) and our 9-year-old daughter. It is a week long trip around the different islands on NCL Pride of America, which I'm sure will be great fun for us all. My only concern is my son. I've read the cruise boards about how great it is to have a balcony, but I'm not sure if we would be able to keep our little one occupied long enough to spend any time in our small cabin - even if it did have a balcony. I'm sure some of you know how active boys at this age are, would it be safe to have him in a room with balcony? Or would I spend too much time scared if I turned my back on him for a moment? Has anyone traveled with a toddler on this or other cruises and what is your opinion on spending an extra thousand dollars to have a place you may only use to change and sleep in?

We started cruising with my youngest DS when he was 2, just shy of 3, so the exact same age as yours almost. We had a balcony and LOVED IT! We were on Carnival, so I can say what the balconies are like on NCL, but on CCL, they are plexiglass up to almost my chest, with an opening only a couple of inches high at the bottem. Then, the lock on the door to the balcony was 5' off the floor. So unless you have a huge dare devil of a son who is going to move the bed so that he can reach the lock on the door, and then have super strength (the doors are hard to open) I really don't think he is making it out there on his own. But again, you would have to check with NCL about their specifications.

Now, as for the use of the balcony, you can't beat it, IMHO. We would bring the boys back to the cabin when camp let out around 4 for some quiet time before dinner. If your son still naps, then while he is napping, you can be out on the balcony enjoying an adult beverage! At night, we did not want to leave them in camp (though they do offer late night sessions on CCL), so we came back to the room with them @ 10 when camp closed. Generally we were tired by this point anyway. But, we were able to turn out the lights and relax on the balcony while the boys dozed off. It was fantastic and now I won't travel without one.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Good idea about the juice and milk! I would have never thought about that! Who needs to buy a fountain drink card when you can stock up on juice?

Are there any types of drinks or juice available? Or only with meals?

As for the balcony... I guess I'll find out this winter. Travelling with a four year old on NCL and we'll have a balcony... Here's to safe cruising!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_boyer View Post
Good idea about the juice and milk! I would have never thought about that! Who needs to buy a fountain drink card when you can stock up on juice?

Are there any types of drinks or juice available? Or only with meals?

As for the balcony... I guess I'll find out this winter. Travelling with a four year old on NCL and we'll have a balcony... Here's to safe cruising!
Don't know what NCL has available (check out the NCL board on Cruisecritic.com and someone can tell you)...but CCL has tea and lemonade all day long, after replacing the OJ and pass-o-guava (yum) from breakfast. On CCL you can get milk and all the juices (pineapple, apple, OJ etc) through room service 24/7.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Family Adventurer

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for all your help! I'm sure what ever cabin we finally decide to go with, we'll have a blast! I'm looking forward to trying out some of the tips I've learned here.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Oh yes the CCL Pass-O-Guava stuff is soooo yummy. I never drink juice and I inhale that stuff every morning we are on CCL!!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&JFamily View Post
We started cruising with my youngest DS when he was 2, just shy of 3, so the exact same age as yours almost. We had a balcony and LOVED IT! We were on Carnival, so I can say what the balconies are like on NCL, but on CCL, they are plexiglass up to almost my chest, with an opening only a couple of inches high at the bottem. Then, the lock on the door to the balcony was 5' off the floor. So unless you have a huge dare devil of a son who is going to move the bed so that he can reach the lock on the door, and then have super strength (the doors are hard to open) I really don't think he is making it out there on his own. But again, you would have to check with NCL about their specifications.

Now, as for the use of the balcony, you can't beat it, IMHO. We would bring the boys back to the cabin when camp let out around 4 for some quiet time before dinner. If your son still naps, then while he is napping, you can be out on the balcony enjoying an adult beverage! At night, we did not want to leave them in camp (though they do offer late night sessions on CCL), so we came back to the room with them @ 10 when camp closed. Generally we were tired by this point anyway. But, we were able to turn out the lights and relax on the balcony while the boys dozed off. It was fantastic and now I won't travel without one.
I agree completely! We cruised Alaska with our kids this summer and got a balcony room. We have cruised alot and almost always got an oceanview (never get an inside with 2 kids; it's WAY too small!) My husband was really worried about the balcony but a CCL rep. told us about the 5' high door locks. And truly, I had to PUSH on the door to open it. The views were spectacular (as I suspect they would be in Hawaii) and well worth the extra $$ if you can swing it.