Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas

Forgot Your Password?

Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas Find, or share, unique tips and ideas to help with your family vacation. Tips exclusively for families, from families.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Tips for Flying with Children

BEFORE YOU LEAVE:
Less crowds means less stress! If you have the option, book your flights for non-peak travel times: Mondays - Wednesdays, at midday, or in the evening.
Pack plenty of entertainment for the flight, including snacks, drinks, and activities. Bring far more than you think you'll need—you never know if you'll be delayed.
What to bring? Pack activities such as books, activity/coloring books, travel-sized board games, playing cards, and CD players. If your child has a portable video game system or LeapPad®, you will never appreciate it more. (Be sure to charge it the night before!)
Prepare your child for the trip. Tell him what to expect at the airport and on the plane, and give him tips for how to behave. (When checking or screening baggage, reassure your child he will get his belongings back — something many kids worry about.)
Remind your child that it's illegal to make any kind of jokes about bombs. According to the FAA, even a child's jest can result in fines and delays.

IN THE AIRPORT:
Allow extra time at the airport. As you know, everything takes l-o-n-g-e-r when traveling with kids.
Give your child safety rules, such as what to do if you become separated. Should she stay where she is and wait for you?
One way to pass time in the airport is to give your child a little "airport allowance." Visiting the shops in search of the perfect snack or a magazine can keep kids happy and busy for extended periods.
Even if you don't ordinarily use a child tether, consider using one just in the airport. Remember, you will be distracted when checking in and claiming your luggage. There may be moments when you have to let go of your child's hand.

ON THE PLANE:
Take-offs and landings can be painful for little ears. Bring along ear filters, which buffer eardrums against rapidly changing air pressure. Encourage your child to swallow by offering beverages, gum, or hard candy.
For maximum entertainment valve, bring toys out one at a time, and put one away before introducing the next.
Seat your child by the window. Most kids find the view fascinating. It's also safer than sitting on the aisle, where little arms and legs could get bumped.
Remember, not all passengers appreciate the joys of children...even a wonderful child like yours! Plan to keep your child entertained. (Some parents of noisy kids deliberately choose seats in the back of the plane, where engine noise can muffle piping voices.)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Family Adventurer

My kids are ages 13 and 10 and I haven't flown since they implemented all these rules. My boys have a Sony PSP which is a little handheld game system, will they be able to play with it during flight? Can they also bring their backpacks or does it have to be a little carry suitcase?

I also want to bring my laptop and camera. I guess my laptop has to be in a designated bag and taken out when I go through security. My camera I plan to put in my carry-on.

Also I have a question about toiletries. It says you have to put shampoo and liquids in a 3oz. clear container and in a quart size baggie. Does that mean I have to pour my liquid foundation make-up into a 3oz. container too? What about like my compact eye shadow or lipstick, do these need to go into a clear baggie or can I keep them in my little make-up bag? I can't find any info on this.

We leave next Sat on the first of August.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Family Trekker

My kids did use there DS's and ipods, I did make them wait until they make the announce that you can use electronics. Backpacks are fine, if they fit under the seat in front of you ok, if not just stow above with the carry ons. You can get to them if you need to.

No problem with laptops and camera's. We brought our Wii in it's case. Going we only had to unzip the bag but coming home they made us empty the bag in a tub

Liquids - Anything that has a water content - liquids, creams, etc. does have to be 3 oz or less and in a baggie or be put into checked luggage. So if your foundation is bigger yep you'll need to. Lipstick also. Eyeshadow cream yes, powder no. If you have too much to fit into a baggie, have your kids take one (1 bag per person). Once your through inspection you can put everything back in your makeup bag.

Don't forget they will make you take your shoes off too.

Have a great trip!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Family Adventurer

Thanks for answering my question.

I think I've decided to just put it in my checked bags and just not deal with putting it in containers. Hopefully they won't bust but I'm planning on putting them into a ziploc just in case they do break or something

Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Great tips! If you are travelling with little kids on a long flight it can also be a good idea to pack them a 'surprise goody bag' with little toys, things to draw, etc that you bought to keep them entertained. Make a rule that they can only open it after a certain amount of time in the air. This gives them something to look forward to

Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Always bring a goodie bag full of new surprises for them that they can't open until we are on the plane. And bring whatever electronics they like. Portable DVD players are a godsend on flights.

Make sure you bring something to suck on for their ears when you're landing.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Host & Charter Member

Talking

LOL, I'm dying because I'm thinking back to the days when I was little, and none of these gadgets existed and we flew with our parents and just had to sit quietly through the flights (maybe we colored?) and that we did! There was NO GETTING OUT OF HAND ON BOARD OR ELSE!!!

As for our ears, I'm trying to remember but I think all they told us was to yawn a few times and try to keep popping our own ears. Eventually, it worked and that was that!

My oh my how times (and parenting!) have changed! We roughed back then in the "friendly skies!!" And I started flying YOUNG!

Gosh, I wish I was little again and I had all you as my parents! It's not easy being the first born of very strict parents! I had a sister but still.....we were expected to be perfect ON OUR OWN. :::Sigh::::

We had no FamilyVacationCritic.com!!! But we have it NOW! YEAH!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

I hear on my first flight when I was a few months old...maybe it was 9 months...I managed to snag some ice and toss it on the person next to us. Oops!

So fortunate my DD is a good flyer. She is spoiled though as most of her miles have been in First or Business Class seats. Imagine getting on the plane in LAX bound for SYD and seeing three youngs kids, DD was the oldest, in Business Class...I think some were very afraid. All of the kids were very good the whole flight. Only once did the youngest cry, and I think it was when the baby needed to be changed and the parents were napping. No biggie there.

Almost time to go hang with the family folk way the heck up on the northern edge of Houston. Heck a helicopter would make the ride much nicer and faster. Oh yeah, DD loves riding in helicopters...
I love traveling. I've been to Dinsey at all different times of the year with Christmas being my favorite. I've been to six continents and hope to very soon visit Antarctica. Australia and Fiji are among my all time favorite foreign destinations.

Probably the most notable trip was October 2002, when we were at Bali the night of the first bombing there. *** You will find me on Cruise Critic as well with the same user name. Happy Travels to all!!!

Watch a quick look at my Christmas Light Displayhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS34hUQrpM

Past Trips (Most recent first):
Aug09 WDW Week; June-July09 RCCL AK Cruise, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Disney Land and Four Corners region; Apr09 RCCL Voyager of the Seas; Feb09 RCCL Mariner of the Seas; Dec08-Jan09 Voyager of the Seas; Oct98 Fiji's Matangi Resort; May-June85 UK & France vacation; many others before these.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Host & Charter Member

Exclamation

Actually Dave, we did fly in First Class once in the first row and I remember liking that VERY MUCH even back then as a little one! Guess I developed a taste for the finer things at a very young age. But what I remember most being excited about was being able to see inside the cockpit as the door was wide open back in those days, and I was MYSTIFIED by all that I saw and wanted to go up in there!! I think they let me come to the door to have a look, with the flight attendant. So cool. Now, as we all know, doors are closed usually so can't see a darn thing.

Anyway, for some odd reason Dad had us all flying First that time and Dave helped me remember that NICE flight home! Giving away my age here, but business class had not yet been developed! LOL

Got me my business class seat on a Tokyo-Hong Kong flight and that was a LOOONNNNNGGG time after the youthful First Class flight!! :::sigh::: Still loved it though.....who wouldn't?

Has to be easier to travel with kids in biz class or first, I would think, no??
Entire family more comfortable, more room, it just makes sense. Sometimes there are good sales on biz class - gotta keep an eye out for them, ya never know - for long haul flights, it can be a total lifesaver.

Which reminds me: Don't go Australia with family without biz class! Sometimes there are fairly cheap upgrades available when booking tickets with the airlines that service Down Under, i.e., Qantas and Air New Zealand - it does happen. Not all the time but it happens and I always tell people to grab it. That flight is a killer and SO WORTH IT to grab the biz class upgrade if price add on option is "right" it's a must do. You and your family will be so happy you did. Arrive comfortable and not crumpled, rested and not cranky? So much better!! Transpacific is TOUGH. Biz class can be your best friend. File it away if saving that trip for a later time. Believe me, you'll be glad you upgraded (if you can't get "the deal" use miles for upgrades seats!) on the LA or Europe to Aussie/NZ flights!!

Just a little tidbit for the travel files..........

Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Never forgot to pack a change of clothes in a gallon sized zip lock bag for your child. (No matter how old they are!) It never fails that DD (9) will spill something on her during the flight. I whip out the spare outfit and put the soiled one in the ziplock bag.