Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > California

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

California California family travel forum: Discuss family friendly California resorts and hotels. Get California vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
California Family Travel Deals
California Family Hotels and Resorts

Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Default Questions about California!

HI! It's been a LONG time since I've been to California. We are getting ready to go out there for fall break.
What do you recommend we do with our DD (9) in San Francisco?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Family Adventurer

Alcatraz is fun for kids, riding the cable cars & there is a Brown Bear factory that you can tour. I think it's in Ghiradelli Square.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...alifornia.html

Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Family Trekker

Location: The world if I could but for now I settle for the west coast.

Golden Gate Bridge and driving down to Half Moon Bay along the coast is always fun too. Also if you can spend the afternoon or morning on a sail boat (there are a lot of charter companies that do this) it is a blast and a 9 yr. old would love doing it.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

My kids really enjoyed the Exploratorium, riding the cable cars. At Fisherman's wharf there's a museum mechanique with all of these old mechanical arcade toys which is fun. There's also the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum which is very touristy, but my kids love it. There's a set of mirrors in there that they still laugh about.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynapril View Post
Alcatraz is fun for kids, riding the cable cars & there is a Brown Bear factory that you can tour. I think it's in Ghiradelli Square.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...alifornia.html
If you do Alcatraz, order your tickets ahead of time online as they sell out quickly and if you try to get them that day you may be out of luck.

Kathleen

Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

In stead of inundating the kids with gifts every Christmas, my hubby and I have created a "Family Suitcase." In it, every Christmas are clues to where we are going the next year as our BIG family trip!! We have a huge map as well where they can place the pins. In 2008, we did a road trip south--Monticello in Virginia/Chattanooga TN. In 2009, we flew out to Arizona to do Sedona/Grand Canyon/Petrified Forest/Las Vegas run. The kids just learned that our Family Trip this 2010 year is to California--San Francisco/Angels Camp/Yosemite!!

We're staying a week in Angels Camp--plan to make a drive down to Yosemite and do the other nearby areas.

But in San Francisco, we'll be there for only two/three days--what are the 'must-see' things to do here. I've read some suggestions already but what to do with limited time?? I have a 13 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 4 yo girl.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyhlr View Post
In stead of inundating the kids with gifts every Christmas, my hubby and I have created a "Family Suitcase." In it, every Christmas are clues to where we are going the next year as our BIG family trip!! We have a huge map as well where they can place the pins. In 2008, we did a road trip south--Monticello in Virginia/Chattanooga TN. In 2009, we flew out to Arizona to do Sedona/Grand Canyon/Petrified Forest/Las Vegas run. The kids just learned that our Family Trip this 2010 year is to California--San Francisco/Angels Camp/Yosemite!!

We're staying a week in Angels Camp--plan to make a drive down to Yosemite and do the other nearby areas.

But in San Francisco, we'll be there for only two/three days--what are the 'must-see' things to do here. I've read some suggestions already but what to do with limited time?? I have a 13 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 4 yo girl.

The "suitcase" idea is a really good one -- I think I'll "borrow" it!

LilMama

Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Family Trekker

Location: The world if I could but for now I settle for the west coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyhlr View Post
Ghirardelli Square is always great to see. There is the cable cars of course, and Alcatraz. If you can swing it a charter sail boat for an afternoon sail in the bay is also fun. China Town is also a great experience for everyone. Every time my DH and I go we drive across the Golden Gate, just on the other side is a turn out with a small observation area to take pictures of the bridge.

Food is another story, there are good restaurants that are $$$$ and then great restaurants for the same and then you can find some really great restaurants that wont break the bank. One that we ALWAYS go to is Mona Lisa in the Italian District. It has the best meatballs ever. There menu is very extensive and the food and atmosphere is great, best of all it is not priced outrageously.

As for Yosemite, you are going to want to spend at least 2 days in the park. Angles camp is not so far that you can't drive in and out every day, and the entrance fee is good for 7 days. But there is so much to see and do there that you can get lost in there for the entire week. Must sees are Bridalvail Falls, Glacier Point, Yosemite Falls, Curry Village, and the trailhead to Vernal and Nevada Falls (this one is a bit of a hike and depending on how fit you are can take 1/2 a day or only a couple of hours), Mariposa Grove (at the southern entrance leading to Oakhurst). Anyway hope you have the best vacation ever.