Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Destinations Where are your family travel plans taking you?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Family Cruise

Planning on taking a Caribbean cruise with my kids ages 8,10 & 12 in february. I haven't booked anything yet. Anybody with any tips or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Our kids love Royal Caribbean -- just about any of the newer ships. Lots to do onboard and they have the best kids program. Where do you want to go?

Caitlin's Mom

Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks so much for your reply. We are looking at the eastern Caribbean. We have been thinking about Royal Caribbeans cruise departing on Feb 20, I believe its called Independance of the Seas. Were your accomodations a suite? Were not sure wheather to book a suite or a balcony room for my husband and I and an inside room across the hall for the kids, we have 3 kids.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Hi Mcrainy,

We've done both a suite and connecting cabins on Royal. We enjoyed the suite for the room, but missed the privacy. Have you looked at some of the family suites? They might be a good option for you. Another thought if you can swing it -- a suite with a connecting balcony. We did this on another line and it was terrific. We had the privacy we wanted with two cabins but enough room to congregate as a family. We've done two cabins before and it always felt cramped to me when hanging out. Sometimes they'll let you connect the balconies too which is nice.

Caitlin's Mom

Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

RCCL Oasis of the Seas has even more for kids than any of the prior ships especially slightly older kids. RCCL by many who have done both it and Disney wins over families because of the ability for the kids to do things without the lines they otherwise experience on DCL. That said kids do love both lines.

DD has been on RCCL and CCL. She loves RCCL and does not want to go on CCL again. Of course she liked being in the Grand Suite where there was a lot more room in the cabin etc...even a D1 with a pull out couch that gives here a bed on the floor instead of a pullman.

Have a great cruise!!!
I love traveling. I've been to Dinsey at all different times of the year with Christmas being my favorite. I've been to six continents and hope to very soon visit Antarctica. Australia and Fiji are among my all time favorite foreign destinations.

Probably the most notable trip was October 2002, when we were at Bali the night of the first bombing there. *** You will find me on Cruise Critic as well with the same user name. Happy Travels to all!!!

Watch a quick look at my Christmas Light Displayhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBS34hUQrpM

Past Trips (Most recent first):
Aug09 WDW Week; June-July09 RCCL AK Cruise, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Disney Land and Four Corners region; Apr09 RCCL Voyager of the Seas; Feb09 RCCL Mariner of the Seas; Dec08-Jan09 Voyager of the Seas; Oct98 Fiji's Matangi Resort; May-June85 UK & France vacation; many others before these.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

I happen to be partial to Disney, but, the price can be a shocker if you have a large family and need to book more than one cabin.

Have you already gone? You post was quite old.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Hi Cheryl thanks for your reply to my msg. We returned from out trip on Feb 28th. We stayed at a Disney resort for 5 days then cruised with the Royal Caribbean (eastern Caribbean for 8 nights). Disney World was crazy busy but I absolutely loved the cruise. Cant wait to go again!!! We ended up in a balcony state room with the kids directly across from us in a interior room. It worked out great.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

So Glad you had fun! I love the Eastern Carribean! Yeah,
Disney is alwasy so busy, but, still fun. Did you happen to go to Universal?
My Kids keep seeing the Harry Potter commercials for the new attraction and are interested in going. I also have a 6,8,10 and 12 YO!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Disney is indeed a place where you along with your whole family can have plenty of fun even-though it is crowded most of the time. I generally opt for some quite place for the vacations but when the kids are along then there is not better place to opt for than Disney. Glad, you all had a blast at Disney. I believe that Disney has its own world and that's what the kids love about it.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Family Vacation Critic Host

We did RCCL last year on the Freedom of the Seas, Eastern Carribean with our 6 and 8 year olds. We had the time of our lives and would do it again in a heartbeat! Our cousins did Disney a week later and I think they would have preferred Royal to Disney!