Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Destinations > Florida

Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Florida Florida family travel forum: Discuss family friendly resorts and hotels in Florida. Get vacation tips exclusively for families, from families.
Florida Family Travel Deals
Florida Family Resorts and Hotels

Old 01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Family Trekker

Default Best Age for Disney World?

I am sure we will have Disney trip in our future--question is what ages would prob be best for our kids for their 1st trip? I know as they get older it will change for the types of rides and activities they do.

They will be 2 and 4 this spring.

OH and they are on the short side so if there are lots of height restrictions we will be limited. My 21 mos old still wears 9 month pants.

Last edited by alise007; 01-08-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add more to clarify

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Family Trekker

Location: The world if I could but for now I settle for the west coast.

Disney is good for any age group.

Your youngest can ride quite a few of the rides (we took our 5 month old and she was able to ride most of the calm rides on our lap.) I was surprised that she was allowed to ride the teacups even. We opted out of several rides that she could have gone on because my DH was afraid that they might be a bit too scary for her.

They are both at good ages to get a lot of great photos too. The oldest should remember everything and the youngest will understand and get most of what is happening.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

We waited until our kids were 7 and 5 as they were able to walk around on there own for a good amount of time (although stroller rental wasn't such a bad idea for our younger one). They also get a much better recollection of the parks as well at that age. We kind of felt if they were too young they just wouldn't remember it at all and we wanted to make sure they remembered it.

Covertunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
I am sure we will have Disney trip in our future--question is what ages would prob be best for our kids for their 1st trip? I know as they get older it will change for the types of rides and activities they do.

OH and they are on the short side so if there are lots of height restrictions we will be limited. My 21 mos old still wears 9 month pants.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Family Adventurer

Quote:

The best answer is...it depends. If this is going to be your only Disney trip, then I would wait until they're a little older. If this is just the first trip, then they're the perfect ages to start going, especially since the 2 year old will still be free this year. There really aren't that many rides that little ones can't go on because of height. For the most part it's just the roller coasters and other thrill rides that have height restrictions. I would suggest if you take them at this age you build in some down time in the middle of the day for naps, then return to the parks in the evening.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwkirby View Post
The best answer is...it depends. If this is going to be your only Disney trip, then I would wait until they're a little older. If this is just the first trip, then they're the perfect ages to start going, especially since the 2 year old will still be free this year. There really aren't that many rides that little ones can't go on because of height. For the most part it's just the roller coasters and other thrill rides that have height restrictions. I would suggest if you take them at this age you build in some down time in the middle of the day for naps, then return to the parks in the evening.
Agreed here. You definitely want to head back to the hotel for a nap with younger ones in the middle of the day and come back in the evening. You'll avoid the heat in the middle of the day this way too.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Family Trekker

we will prob go in the late fall or NON hot months because pale white easy burning family members (3 out of 4)! Plus we don't do the heat. I prefer Thanksgiving time to be honest! but a nap won't be bad.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

Quote:
we will prob go in the late fall or NON hot months because pale white easy burning family members (3 out of 4)! Plus we don't do the heat. I prefer Thanksgiving time to be honest! but a nap won't be bad.
Yeah trust me. The nap is CLUTCH in the middle of the day cause you are walking SOOO much in the parks. Especially with the "whiney" gene somewhere in kid's DNA that begins to show when their legs and feet start to get tired. I have yet to find a solution for that gene though. :-)

Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Family Trekker

Location: The world if I could but for now I settle for the west coast.

I am not sure about WDW but I know that Disneyland (on California Adventure side) has the mother of all Mothers Lounges for kids to take naps in. I would ask someone if there is something similar and use their facilities. The one here is beyond awesome with a play area, tv area and sleep area. Even has diapers, formula and stuff for the little ones.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Family Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveSquire View Post
I am not sure about WDW but I know that Disneyland (on California Adventure side) has the mother of all Mothers Lounges for kids to take naps in. I would ask someone if there is something similar and use their facilities. The one here is beyond awesome with a play area, tv area and sleep area. Even has diapers, formula and stuff for the little ones.
Disney World has the same type of thing in each of the 4 main parks. I've never looked in one of them, so I'm not sure how it compares to the DL version. I do know they have toddler size bathrooms, areas for nursing moms, and baby supplies available.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Family Trekker

Quote:
Whatever you do, do NOT go at Thanksgiving! That is the second most crowded time of the year, only preceeded by Christmas and New Years. A week or two earlier in Novemeber, or the week after Thanksgiving is great.

As for when to go, I would say ask yourselves the following?

1) Are we easy going people? Or are we going to feel the need to get the most bang for our buck?

2) Are my kids easy going? Or do they need a very structured routine and don't do well off of it?

My oldest was 4.5 when we took him to Disney on his first week long trip; he had been for day trips with his grandparents starting about 2.5 or 3. I am glad that I waited that long for several reasons:
1) no stops for diaper changes,
2) he was just as interested in seeing stuff as we were,
3) he could communicate his needs and feelings very easily, and
4) he had no problem getting up and going until after lunch, and with a 2 hour nap was ready to hit again around 4:40-8/9 p.m

Hope that helps.