Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas

Forgot Your Password?

Family Vacation Planning, Tips & Ideas Find, or share, unique tips and ideas to help with your family vacation. Tips exclusively for families, from families.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Family Adventurer

Default Getting Kids Involved in Planning

Anyone have some good suggestions for ways to get the kids involved in planning/choosing a vacation? I want my son to feel like he has some say in the decision - to a certain extent. We've gone online and researched together some.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Family Adventurer

how old is your son?

maybe he could create a count down calendar and be the one responsible for checking off the days as they go by.

maybe you could tell him that wednesday is his day to plan and give him a list of ohhhh say 5 or 6 things that you want to do and ask him to plan the day.

where to eat for lunch or dinner what activity to do

where are you planning on going? some places are easier to plan then others

Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

My kids like to make a countdown ring. We make it with construction paper and staple the rings together for each of the days. They remove a ring each morning.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

We let our kids help research and decide at least one thing they really want to do. Depends on how old your kids are, how much of this they can do on their own and how much you want to do some prep ahead of time and then give them choices. I find my kids are much more invested in the process and we end up doing things we wouldn't have chosen on our own, but they end up being some of our best vacation memories.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Our daughter is only four, so I come up with some ideas that we could try, and ask her if they sound fun or not.

For example, this next trip I asked her if she would like to try snorkelling. When I showed her pictures of what it is, she was very excited and said she would like to try.

I've asked her what she liked about previous vacations, and what she hasn't, and we go from there.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I usually map out some itineraries and then discuss options with the kids one at a time. Then we make group decisions on the activities.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

We are doing the construction paper rings for our next trip! 459 days away
We are also taking a trip to Disney in Sept and we will do it then! I can wait! But I do anticipate a fight on who is going to remove the rings each day! They may have to each make one! I think thats a better idea!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Family Adventurer

Where are you going? If you can get ahold of a travel video or a magazine article or a show on the travel channel about the places you are visiting, you can read / watch it together.

Then, like Caitlin's Mom (and others) suggested, let your son choose some specific things he would like to do - if they are reasonable in your time/budget - then go for it!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Smile Kids Planning

We usually try to decide where we want to go and then every person picks something they just have to do on this trip and we squeeze them in. The most memorable trip ended up being myself, then husband, aunt, uncle, kids (then 20, 14, 13) and our grandson.

This is how it ended up - sounds crazy but it really wasn't and we had such a blast!

We did a great trip in October 2007 that I will always remember. We flew from Arizona to Phildelphia (me, then husband, kids 14 and 13), stayed overnight, went to the Liberty Bell and ate Philly Steak Sandwiches from a street vendor. Then we drove to Hershey (joined by aunt and uncle), stayed overnight, went to the Hershey Factory - what a cool thing to do. Then we drove to Gettysburg, stayed 2 nights and did the self guided battlefield tour, getting out when we wanted - what great stories and gorgeous pictures. We then drove into Washington, DC area (joined by 20 year old and grandson), stayed 2 nights, visited grandparents and did the Holocaust Museum, the Air and Space Museum, Lincoln Monument, Vietnam Wall. Then we drove to Williamsburg, VA (aunt and uncle stayed in DC), stayed 2 nights and did ghost tour of Williamsburg and went to the amusement park. Returned to DC, stayed one night, then flew home.

I don't know if as an adult I would have planned so much running around but all the drives were short 4-5 hours and no fights!

Good luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
Anyone have some good suggestions for ways to get the kids involved in planning/choosing a vacation? I want my son to feel like he has some say in the decision - to a certain extent. We've gone online and researched together some.
It sounds like you're trying to decide on a vacation destination, is that correct? If so, how about making a geography lesson out of this? Start by getting a map and showing your son the areas that you can travel to. If you're driving, then you may want to limit the destination to within a 600 mile radius - or whatever you choose, of course - or, if flying, then the skies the limit (so to speak ). Narrow the search down by deciding what type of vacation you're interested in: beach, mountain, city, etc.

If your son is old enough, then have him do some research on one or two places. Obviously, the older the child, the more research they can do, but younger kids can help a parent. Maybe the family can vote on the destination based on the research the family has done. Make it fun!

Good luck to you! Please let us know what your family decides to do.