Go Back   Family Vacation Critic Forums > Traveling with Kids > Infants & Toddlers

Forgot Your Password?

Infants & Toddlers Find or share ideas to help travel with infants & toddlers. Traveling with Infants and Toddlers

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Question car seat question

Hello,

I was curious to know what the deal is with travelign with a 2yo and the car seat? We are goign on a cruise in January 2010 and obviously want to bring a little as possible and Was curious on if we should bring her car seat or not for the cab rides? We live in NH but are flying out of Boston direct to Miami. any help would be great! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

I know people who don't travel with carseats, but I think this is incredibly dangerous and just not worth the risk. We usually take an old carseat with us for the plane (we carry it in a carseat bag on wheels that we stow in the overhead compartment. The carseat then gets strapped into the plane seat). We also have a gogo babyz travelmate which turns the car seat into a stroller. With our infant (6 months) we travel with a graco snug ride and a stroller frame (the car seat fits in the frame to become a stroller).

Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

Does your baby have her own seat on the plane? Then you'll need your car seat for that.

If you opt to not bring it, can you avoid cabs and stick to buses and public transport? Much safer.

What about the stops on your cruise? Will you need a car seat for those?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Family Trekker
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmike View Post
Hello,

I was curious to know what the deal is with travelign with a 2yo and the car seat? We are goign on a cruise in January 2010 and obviously want to bring a little as possible and Was curious on if we should bring her car seat or not for the cab rides? We live in NH but are flying out of Boston direct to Miami. any help would be great! Thanks.
This is regarding car seats and taxicabs rules in New York City.

What are the rules regarding child safety seats and seatbelts in taxicabs?

Drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers, are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts. Keep in mind, the TLC encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts while riding in a cab. There are no Taxi and Limousine Commission rules regarding this, as it is a State exemption. Passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install.
*NOTE - Children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap

Sounds to me that you should bring your car seat.

TravelMom401

Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Family Adventurer
Charter Member

I would say that better safe than sorry applies to this situation. There are so many times where you might need one- unless you plan on carrying her around or sitting her on your lap the whole time.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM

It is difficult lugging car seats through airports, but think about it: Are you going to put your toddler's life in the hands of an overworked, undereducated, unsympathetic taxi driver in a strange city?