Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel Review
555 family reviews
Families will love:
- Historic hotel
- Beach across the street
- Elegant, tropically landscaped pool
About Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
For over a century, the stately Hotel Galvez has reigned Queen of the Gulf, located in the Texas port town of Galveston. Named after Bernardo de Gálvez, the Spanish colonial governor who explored the coast of Texas and for whom the city was named, this grand dame has maintained a position of dignity and a reputation for old-world elegance, even as her surrounding neighborhood has fallen on hard times.
Sitting in the Adirondack chairs on the hotel's majestic front lawn overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, it's hard not to daydream about the glory days when Galveston was the grandest city in Texas. Today, it's the summer beach playground for many residents of the ultra-modern Houston, just over an hour away. From the ornate lobby with its crown moldings and detailed stenciling, to the elegant mahogany bar and the graceful baby grand greeting visitors as they enter, Hotel Galvez pays tribute to Galveston's important place in Texas history.
Galveston, in fact, has a stormy history. It was the site of one of the United States' worst natural disasters, the hurricane of 1900 that killed over 6,000 people and destroyed just about every building along the coast. After the devastating hurricane, a consortium of local businessmen came together to build Hotel Galvez as a way to bring tourists back to Galveston Island. "Build it and they will come," thought the investors... and they did.
Over the decades, numerous presidents and A-list celebrities have overnighted at Hotel Galvez. Their stories and many more are brought to life by the hotel's gracious guest ambassador, Bobby Hilton. He'll take you on a lively historical tour, pointing out what parts of the hotel are original, along with plenty of fun stories about the days when celebrities like Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Stewart and Sammy Davis Jr. stayed here. He'll also share tales of presidential visits from Franklin D. Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Lyndon B. Johnson and Richard Nixon. If you can't arrange a tour with Bobby, step down into the hotel's Hall of History and check out the exhibit and archival photos.
Hotel Galvez isn't just living in the past though. This iconic oceanfront property has undergone numerous facelifts over the years, adding luxury suites with ultra-modern bathrooms and refurbishing the restaurant, bar and lobby. The hotel pool is a tropical oasis with a poolside grill and swim-up bar in the warmer months. A luxurious spa built in 2008 houses modern treatment rooms, and a garden courtyard serves as a peaceful relaxation retreat. Hotel Galvez has done an impressive job of modernizing its amenities, while honoring its important place in history.
Hotel Galvez sits directly across the street from the Gulf of Mexico, and although Galveston doesn't have the most picturesque beaches, strolling along the city's famed seawall, built after the hurricane of 1900, makes for a fun walk. Just two blocks away is Galveston's fun-filled Pleasure Pier. Reminiscent of Coney Island, this old-fashioned boardwalk is filled with amusement park games and rides, including a Ferris wheel and roller coaster.
Galveston's charming historic district, known as The Strand, is only a five-minute drive away. The pedestrian-friendly Strand makes for a pleasant afternoon stroll with its unique boutiques, candy shops and brightly colored Victorian-era buildings. To help you make the most of your stay, a complimentary hotel town car will whisk you in style to the local destination of your choice.
Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (8 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips All About the Extras Sail & Sign Card Carnival ships feature Sail & Sign cards, which make life so much easier. All you do is link a debit card or credit card to your Sail & Sign Card at Guest Relations or a kiosk on the ship. You'll then use your Sai...
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips During the cruise, I quickly learned that cruise food is every bit as big of a deal as the cruise itself. And when it comes to dining, the Carnival Miracle does not disappoint. Bacchus Restaurant Thousands of purple, bubble-like lights embellish Bacc...
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips One of four Spirit class ships, Carnival Miracle made its magical debut in 2004. While it's certainly not Carnival's grandest ship, it's definitely something of a "miracle" for families, who find an ample amount of amenities and activities on board. Amid ...
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- When it comes to Disney, they certainly know how to cater to families, and families who want to visit Disney's Orlando theme parks will find a large selection of resorts and hotels to accommodate families of all sizes. But which ones are the best? Take a look at these 10 favorites of our editors and...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...