Smugglers' Notch Review
317 family reviews
Families will love:
- Consistently great family skiing
- Eight heated pools and four waterslides
- Separate teen center
About Smugglers' Notch
On the back side of Stowe's Spruce Peak, Vermont's Smugglers' Notch Resort was designed solely with the family in mind. Indeed, heading here without children would be like honeymooning in Legoland. Their fully-equipped condos cater exclusively to families and their line-up of activities for children is longer than a kid's wish list for Santa. They have three of their own Green Mountains to ski on including a magic learning trail where young children ski up to exhibit panels and learn about winter animals. Then there are indoor pools, outdoor skating rinks, a lighted tube-sliding hill, 34 km of cross-country trails, and nightly family entertainment. Junior won't get bored here, nor will his parents.
With instructors who specialize in teaching young children the sport of skiing, Smugglers' Notch is often rated by Ski and Skiing publications as one of the best skiing resorts in the country for families. We certainly rate it high on our list after they taught our youngest to ski here at the age of two. I'll always remember skiing with Melanie inside my wedge as she did her snow plows on a snowy winter day. We also used ropes and stood behind her, guiding her to the left and to the right. Fortunately, we videotaped all of it, including watching her race with her 4-year-old brother.
The three-mountain ski area caters to all levels. Morse is gentle, Sterling's trails are good for intermediates, while Madonna Mountain is for experts only (Madonna's always had a complex personality). The view of Mount Mansfield atop Madonna is staggering. But Smuggs is more than mere skiing. Summer and fall are sublime times to hike in the notch, where the wall of rock drops down dramatically, grab a canoe and paddle through farmland where cows linger by shoreline, and bike on lonely backcountry roads with mountains always in view. With little distraction except unadulterated fun, rural Vermont is the perfect place to unwind with the family and spend quality time together.
Smugglers' Notch Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (4 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...