by Lissa Poirot
Bella Vita Suites only offers a selection of six suites at its Saugatuck inn, but the inn operates vacation rentals that are ideal for families. The Harborview Condo, located on Culver Street, for example, features two bedrooms and two bathrooms to accommodate four guests. The condo includes a full kitchen, laundry room and deck overlooking the harbor. The Kalaview House on Spear Street is a historic home within walking distance of downtown Saugatuck. It can sleep 14 people with two bedrooms with queen beds on the main floor, three bedrooms on the second floor, and a bedroom in the basement. Two large living rooms with games and 2.5 bathrooms are in the home that also has an eat-in kitchen and separate dining room. The Shoreline Sunset House on Lakeshore Drive is a six-bedroom property overlooking Lake Michigan with its own private beach. Featuring a formal living and dining room, full kitchen with breakfast nook, family room, outdoor living space and three bathrooms, this home can accommodate 14 guests. In total, Bella Vita manages 33 properties that meet the needs of all sizes of families.
Our Editor Loves
- Condo and cottage rentals
- Accommodations for 14 people
- Full-sized kitchens
- Family Room 5+
by Edyta O
We had high expectations for this hotel but ended up a little disappointed.
First of all the walls are very thin and we could hear every noise coming from the room next door. In regards to cleanliness - one of the robes had an orange food stain/particle at the top of the collar, the towel used for a shower mat had a large fainted brown spot and worst of all, the light switch had small pieces of caked-on food which I scraped off because it was too gross. Minor detail - there were no biscottis both days even though they were promised in the room description - which I looked forward to.
The only things positive were the location and decor.
We stayed in the Sandals on Butler room, at the top of the stairs next to the MI Coast store. The door to our hotel room was private, for our use only. A key code locks and unlocks the door to the stairway to which our room was the only room at the top of the stairs.
The room was modern, very clean, comfortable bed and plenty of light from the windows including a nice sized bay window over the street of Butler.
1. Situated right downtown - perfect for walking downtown Saugatuck, especially if just in town to walk, eat, drink and visit boutiques along with all of the other shopping downtown. It is very close to the water, as well.
2. Modern, updated, and very clean room.
- Nice large walk in shower.
- The commode is in its own closet space, separate from the sink and shower. This is a plus.
3. Comfortable bed with 4 matching king size pillows (+ we brought two extra of our own since we both use multiple pillows to sleep.)
4. Good sized small fridge that did not make any noise.
5. Bay window was a nice touch to see Butler St below, people watch, see what was going on first thing in the morning and it also brought in good amount of light to brighten up the morning.
6. I included pictures to display that the room has plenty of accessible plugs and USB ports to charge all of our devices these days. That was a nice surprise.
1. That first step up on the stairway is taller than the rest. After walking all day long, each time we wanted to go back to our room, the (what seemed like a long) stairway was a pain sometimes, but that is really the least problem. If you need an elevator, this is not the room for you. There is no elevator to access this room.
2. More bath mats would be preferred. I usually request more than one; to place an extra in front of the commode and in this situation another one in front of the sink would also be nice. As well, with the nice uncarpeted/tiled floor, a soft rug or even a bath mat on either side of the bed would be nice to wipe off sand and other stuff that eventually comes in on your feet after walking downtown all day, before getting into bed. Again, this is not a make or break for us for the room, but would be a good addition, if the owners or managers take suggestions for improvements.
3. The TV is a decent sized flat screen on the wall in front of the bed and the service is direct TV. However, the only channels displayed are local channels and advertisement channels. We had to look up and type in the channels for other preferred watching in the evening. Arrowing up and down did not take you to other channels, they need to be physically typed into the remote. And we were not able to order a movie since we do not have DirectTV and the management company only manages these rooms, they do not own them. The phone number associated with the TV must belong to the owners (?) or so we were told. So, they had no way of allowing us the phone number to order a movie against and then bill our room. Or so Kevin told us. We basically felt blown off in that regard. But, again, this was not a make or break for us, just a disappointment after getting ready to splurge to order a movie and then finding out that wasn't an option if we did not have our own DirectTV service to bill it to. Oh well. Again, a little thing that did not make or break our experience, but would've been nice to know ahead of time, before we made up our mind to splurge on an ordered movie.
All in all, a great weekend away at our stay in the Sandals on Butler room. We would stay here again. And we might be back in the fall!