by Amanda Norcross
The Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson is an all-suite hotel that’s perfect for families visiting Columbia, South Carolina and Congaree National Park. Inside each suite, you’ll find a full kitchenette, DVD player, and free Wi-Fi. This hotel offers a fitness center and outdoor pool.
Our Editor Loves
- All-suite hotel
- Full kitchenettes
- Outdoor pool
- Family Room 5+
- Free Wi-Fi
by Diane O
I evacuated for a previous hurricane at this hotel a few years ago and it was OK, but this time it had deteriorated drastically and service was incredibly bad. Will never return!
1)My room was NOT clean on arrival - toilet was dirty, no TP - not even the cardboard core, HVAC caused flood on floor, not sure if linens were changed.
2) The toilet overflowed and maintenance man forgot to come back to clean it up.
3) Maintenance men were terrible - one was incompetent, one harassed me about politics out of the blue until I was actually scared.
4) Front desk staff was friendly, polite - but inept.
5) It took 8 hours to get online so I could work.
6) Completed a survey about bad experiences and got a canned, form letter. Wrote to corporate IHG and got no response (despite their claim they'll respond within 7-10 days).
7) Phone didn't work; discovered it wasn't even plugged in.
8) I had to go to the front desk at least 8 times the first day for help.
9) Toilet seats in rooms were only 15" from floor - incredibly low, even in handicapped room where my elderly parents were.
10) Front desk woman wouldn't give me hotel's IT help number until I brought my computer down (of course, she couldn't get it to work either). I'm over 50 and it was clear she thought I was an inept computer user (not true), which was insulting.
11) I asked IHG for compensation for this terrible 5-day stay and got no response.
The photos on the website are misleading. Once you walk in the lobby you can tell the place has seen better days. The hotel had a look and feel of a halfway house. The room I reserved was clean by first sight, but the couch looked like a crime had occurred on it, with stains and tears. The fold out bed was broken and worn. The towels were dirty and there appeared to be some sort of fluid spatter on the wall. There was no bed skirt or anything covering the box springs. There was hair in the bathroom sink and the carpet wasn't something I would want to walk barefoot on. I called to voice my concerns to the IHG membership and was told I needed to handle it myself. Went down to the lobby and could hear the manager on the phone with IHG badmouthing me and saying, "Well if it's that bad she just needs to leave." Had to say out loud that we could hear her talking about us. She never even came to the front desk to speak directly with us. The only highlight was the front desk clerk, a young lady who's name I can not remember, she was the saving grace. She was polite, professional and very understanding. I'm hoping she finds a job with growth and advancement she clearly deserves. This place is more like a motel than a hotel and one with poor management to say the least.