by Diana Lambdin Meyer
As with all Embassy properties, each room here is a suite, thus allowing lots of room for the family to spread out. A swimming pool and complimentary cribs or cots are among the child-friendly amenities in this hotel on the Country Club Plaza. This is a hotel location that will please the shopaholics in your family. The best shopping in the city is just out the door.
Learn more about Embassy Suites.
Our Editor Loves
- All accommodations are two-room suites
- Complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast
- Close proximity to LEGOLAND
by Tami G
My overall take on this property: This is a great hotel that I would recommend and revisit. I do not need a luxury property, If you require luxury and high-end everything than do not come here. If you don't mind being at a property that is more eccentric, "homey" and down to earth with a spanish-y flare, then you will be ok here. Read on if you want the ins and outs of our experience. I tried to be factual because honestly, everyone is different and just providing a negative post about stains on a wall isn't doing anyone any good.
First Impressions -
• App and Digital Key. Worked like a charm. I downloaded the Hilton Honors app. It was really intuitive and easy to figure out. I was able to check in before arriving at the hotel. I used the Digital Key to park my car and I used it at each hotel amenity. It only failed once at the fitness center. One gripe: It was missing movie and restaurant info and pricing.
• Arrival- We were able to avoid the front desk and walked straight to our room. Used the digital key to enter. So easy. The Lobby is really neat. I like old world kind of stuff and the lobby is a throw back to the Plaza and it's Spanish theme. It could use an update but I hope they never lose the overall theme.
• Parking - The digital key let us in. The lot was very full but we were able to park outside. I think it costs $18 to park in the garage.
• Premium Suite Offering - Loved the Premium Suite experience. I have three kids that are always hungry. The room provided my family with a great variety of branded snacks. There was also a Coke Classic and a Diet Coke in the fridge. They had a Keurig maker but no K-Cups were in our room. They gave us standard drip coffee pods instead. Likely a mistake, it was annoying but not the end of the world.
• Room was a little dated style wise. It was however clean and no weird stains or anything. I love the Spanish theme because of how it relates to the Plaza. However I think the rooms were more of a basic home-y look.
• TV and movies. The TV's are older and smallish. It froze on every station. I was never able to watch it. Movies are $20 each. I saw there are lots of ports on the back of the TV set but I do not know if they work. Next time I stay I'll bring my HDMI cords to see if I can stream from my iPad or phone.
Pool + Hot Tub Area- Great experience here. I was there at a busy time, if there weren't a TON of kids being crazy and throwing balls I would have gotten in. My kids however loved it and all three had a blast. Pro Tip: If you are an adult that wants to chill, wait until 9:00-9:30 to get in, less people.
Evening Reception- I liked the evening reception. It was better for drinks. The food was only lite snack food, not appetizers or a mini meal. You are allowed 2 free alcoholic drinks (Wine, beer and limited mixers) and of course standard drinks.
Game Room- My kids thought it was neat to have some games to play however you have to come with plenty of quarters or cash to play them. They had some arcade, a pool table and air hockey.
On-Site Restaurant- I looked at the prices and decided I wasn't hungry. I'm cheap. Main meals are pricey. $28 range. They had other bar and grill stuff too that was not as high.
Staff Services- I had some experience with the staff. Overall though they were very friendly. They kept old plates and cups picked up around the facility. Especially in the morning. The front desk helped me get into a different room when I needed to change the day of my arrival. That was a great experience. The only time I had an issue was with the Chat feature on the Hilton Honors app. The staff might not watch that chat feature all the time. My experience with that was: my room only had 2 towels in it. I had 4 people in the room. I asked for 2 additional towels at 5:20pm. I asked two more times and never got a response until around 9:30pm. They chatted me back and asked if I still needed towels and I said yes. So after I fell asleep at 10:30pm, there was a knock at my door with towels. I also asked for K-Cups for the Keurig because I never got any in my Premium Suite. They only supplied me with a few paper cups. No K-Cups. I don't blame the person delivering the goods, I know they got a message from the other staffers to perform a task. My advice is not use the chat feature and call the front desk.
Noise Level- It's a hotel with an atrium so just be aware that all sound travels and echos. The staff starts breakfast at about 6 am. So if you are sleeping on the fold out couch bed then you will hear them clanging pans and dishes, singing, etc. The bedrooms though were quiet.
Complimentary Breakfast- Excellent food offering, great variety. It's best to go earlier, maybe around 7 am. After that it gets ridiculous busy. People were packed in the area like sardines. The later you go, the less places to sit. Coffee ran out about 8 am. They cook made to order omelettes and a few other basic breakfast items. They also have a buffet with potatos, bacon, sausage, fruit, waffles, cereal, bagels. They offer coffee, tea, orange/cranberry/apple juice.
Departing Experience- It was great because I didn't have to go to the front desk, I just used the app to check out from my room. It made getting my family out very easy.
by Jill R
Worst experience. Not only were they rude at check in, but the problems continued...the evening manager's reception had animal crackers along with potato chips with guacamole and salsa. POTATO CHIPS?? Seriously? Complimentary breakfast the next morning was even worse---they were out of waffles and pancakes by 9am, the place was DISGUSTING. I saw one of their workers eating cake with bare hands. Many items were empty, along with no plates or utensils. Had to ask for things numerous times. Then, my 13 year old left her wallet in our room at checkout. We called about an hour later and they said they found it. We went to pick it up and it had $300 dollars missing from it. They left $60 in there along with her ID and credit card. They gave us the standard, "it's not our responsibility" line. CROOKS. Would never stay again. Thanks for wrecking my daughter's 13th birthday, which is why we stayed there in the first place.