by Terry Ward
The Farmer’s Daughter Hotel is a quaint boutique hotel located right near many of the hottest attractions in Los Angeles. Your family will enjoy easy access to multiple museums, farmers markets and the Grove. At the hotel, you’ll find many personal amenities to keep you comfortable throughout your stay. Staff members are available 24 hours a day to help you with anything you need.
An outdoor swimming pool is located onsite, providing a great place to splash, soak and sun with the kids. Complimentary coffee is provided in the lobby to keep you energized and on the go. Free Wi-Fi is also provided throughout the building for your convenience. As a guest, you will be granted complimentary access to the nearby fitness center. The onsite Tart restaurant and bar makes meals easy and delicious. DVD players are located in all rooms to keep the kids entertained.
Families will enjoy the spacious double bed Tack Rooms with a small cafe table, the Farmer’s Suite that overlooks the courtyard and features a king bed with a living room with a sleeper sofa and kitchenette, and the Robin Rooms with a queen bed, living room with a sleeper sofa, Hollywood lighting mirror with Bluetooth speakers, and wall of glass bathroom. Rooms include Wi-Fi, iPod docking stations, mini-fridges, USB plugs and Nespresso coffee machines.
Our Editor Loves
- Free Wi-Fi
- Outdoor pool
- Theme Park
- Water Sports
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite Dining
Farmer's Daughter is an upscaled former motel with a chic farmhouse motif. The hotel consists of 2 buildings separated by a valet guest parking lot. The rooms open to outdoor breezeway, with some rooms facing into the pool/courtyard, street or neighboring apartments. There are open areas to sit, get sun or play games (ex. foozball). A very small pool is on-site, but no gym. All staff were friendly and greeted guests warmly. Close proximity to The Grove (across the street), Farmer's Market, LACMA/La Brea (10-15 min walk), CBS, Beverly Grove (20 min walk), Melrose Trading Post (open Sat/Sun), shopping on Melrose & Wilshire, supermarkets (Trader Joe's & Whole Foods), drug stores, coffee, etc. Although a high traffic area, all places listed above are walkable. Clean property, friendly staff & unique decor.
Room 318 - Top floor, corner room in the main building facing away from road construction and Fairfax.
• The window looks out onto the tops of apartments; doesn't face directly into other buildings. Blackout Roman blinds, but no sheers for privacy or to diffuse sunlight.
• The concrete floors look intentionally distressed, with gouges and cracks, making one wonder how housekeeping can clean the uneven surface. Luckily, guests are provided with slippers. There is an area rug underneath bed, which appeared soiled and stained with dirt.
• The farmhouse decor is charming, with some signs of mild wear and tear on the acrylic top sitting table and cushioned bench.
• Lots of outlets - 10 electrical plugs & 2 USB plugs. A mini tablet on side table acts as a Farmer's Daughter directory, internet browser & alarm clock.
• In-room safe sized for an average laptop.
• All rooms open to an outdoor breezeway, with minor guest, housekeeping & road traffic noise.
• Fresh baked cookies are delivered to your room at 6pm each day, which was a nice touch.
• No mention of whiskey hour at Tart during check-in, so it is unclear if this is still an offering.
• Room design includes a glass wall from bed looking into bathroom shower/toilet, but there is a curtain available for privacy. The sink is located outside of the shower and toilet area, next to the front door. There is decent counter space for toiletries, plus a good amount of space underneath the sink for extra storage. The scented toiletries were a nice quality that I would purchase.
• There are 2 generous drawers in a dresser for clothes, and an exposed hanging rack for more clothes.
• There is a generous full length floor mirror with extra hooks on it.
• Room amenities: Nespresso with pods/tea, shampoo/conditioner, shower gel, hand soap, makeup remover towelette, body lotion, shower cap. There was no extra courtesy kit with cotton balls, sewing repair kit (available for a fee), or bar fridge. The website states a fridge can be provided upon request.
• There is no gym, however a pass to a nearby gym is available upon request. The pool is the size of a very large hot tub, not for swimming laps but nice for a dip. (Closes at sunset & has a bathroom).
• The business centre consists of 1 computer & printer. This hotel doesn't market itself as a business hotel, so this should be fine for most guests.
• Tart Restaurent is next door, with a few tables inside and outside. Casual food and service with reasonable prices. Open to 9pm. Situated across from The Grove and Farmer's Market, so there are a lot of dining options available. Trader Joe's is next door. Whole Foods is 2 blocks away.
• Complimentary retro looking newer bikes and a street library are located by the front entrance at street level.
• The lobby is small, with a check-in desk, 3 self-serve kiosks & an artisan gift shop.
• Internet connection in room 318 dropped constantly, with speed falling to 5 mbps so streaming videos was not an option & even scrolling Facebook was dicey. Internet speed in the foyer, by the pool and in Tart was fast, so the issue could have been signal strength. Faster in-room internet was available for a $7 fee.
I would stay here again, and hope I have the opportunity to do so the next time I'm in LA. I would also recommend Farmer's Daughter for solo, couple, small/young family travellers.
by Lauren S
I stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago and they put a hold on my card, as most hotels do to cover incidentals. I was told it was released at checkout. Now, 3 weeks after I checked out, there is still a hold on my account. I called and spoke to Whitney about a week ago who assured me it was released and that I should speak to the bank. The bank told me there was no release and to speak to the hotel. So I went back to the hotel and I was told by Whitney that she will refer it to her manager. I have followed up by email multiple times and no one has bothered to respond to me. It is a nice hotel with lovely staff, but this experience will keep me from returning there in the future.