Disney just keeps getting better and better.
Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Bob Chapek shared exciting news at the recent D23 Expo 2019 in Anaheim, California. These are some of the most notable announcements.
Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser
Excited about Star Wars: Galaxy Edge? Wait until you hear this: Walt Disney World Resort has plans for an all-new vacation experience called Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, in which guests will embark on a two-night adventure aboard a starship. Guests will actively participate and communicate with characters on the journey.
Epcot is getting a makeover. Disney has announced a multi-year transformation that will include the following additions at Epcot:
- Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana: Guests will be able to interact with “living” water in this first-ever experience.
- Walt Disney Imagineering Presents the Epcot Experience: Starting in October, guests of Epcot will be able to visit this unique attraction, where they’ll get a never-before-seen look at the ideas and inspiration for the expansive renovations.
- Mary Poppins Attraction: Mary Poppins is getting her own ride at Disney World! Very few details have been announced, but we know the adventure will begin inside the Banks family home.
- Play! Pavilion: Billed as a “digital metropolis,” this new attraction will feature activities and experiences that connect guests with their family, friends, and favorite Disney characters in a way they’ve never been able to before.
- Space 220 Restaurant: Guests will feel like they’re in space at this new restaurant, with daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up. The new restaurant will open this winter.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind: This new storytelling ride will include the first reverse launch on a roller coaster at Disney, and will be the first “other world” showcase pavilion at Epcot.
While we already knew Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Paris were getting superhero-themed lands, an official name for these areas has been announced: Avengers Campus. Avengers Campus will have the first ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man. Avengers Campus will open at Disney California Adventure in 2020; an opening date for Disneyland Paris has not yet been announced.
Disney will unveil a new planning tool called Disney Genie in late 2020. The app will provide daily itineraries based on park guests’ interests.
Disney Cruise Line’s New Ship and Island
Disney also announced new details about its fifth ship, including the name, as well as details about its second island, Lighthouse Point.
Our team of parents and travel experts chooses each product and service we recommend. Anything you purchase through links on our site may earn us a commission.