Chatham Bars Inn Review
308 family reviews
Families will love:
- Kids' programs and activities
- Direct access to the beach and a free water taxi
- Nature walks and sightseeing trips
About Chatham Bars Inn
Cape Cod extends off the Massachusetts shoreline like a finger crooked at "come hither" -- and there are plenty of reasons the crowds do every summer. Forward thinking conservationists preserved the outer cape as a pristine beach environment, full of white-sand beaches and dunes fronting the crashing waves of the Atlantic. The rest of the Cape, meanwhile, abounds with family-friendly attractions, from the guilty pleasures of mini-golf and ice cream to the more active pursuits of boating and biking. The only problem, of course, are those crowds that gum up the highways and beaches every summer afternoon, making it difficult to appreciate all of the attractions in their midst.
That's part of what makes the jaw-dropping luxury at Chatham Bars Inn so special. Located in the quaint historic town of Chatham in the corner of the Cape, the resort provides an oasis from the crowds, where guests can experience the Cape the way it was decades ago (or, in the opinion of many residents, the way it should be.) The first grand summer resort on Cape Cod, Chatham Bars has virtually cornered the market on luxury in the past century. Founded in 1914, the inn retains a Great Gatsby-ish ambience that pleases traditionalists -- all white columns and rattan chairs on a verandah overlooking the ocean. But a recent renovation in 2007 completely overhauled the amenities to bring it up to 21st century standards for opulence. Guests can walk down the bluff to the beach, play tennis on clay courts, or board an expedition on the inn's newly redesigned sailing fleet all without leaving the resort. At the same time, its strategic location at the very crook of the Cape allows guests to drive easily to the honky-tonk pleasures of the Upper Cape or the pristine seashore of the Outer Cape.
In addition to updating the guestrooms and restoring the grand lobby and verandah with its signature 180-degree views of the ocean, the recent $14 million renovation added a new spa that is among the best in New England, along with an accompanying outdoor pool and landscaped Japanese gardens. The inn also added environmental awareness to its list of priorities, with eco-friendly changes including fluorescent bulbs, a newly efficient HVAC system, and an electric golf cart. While the makeover made the resort newly fashionable for couples and girls looking for a getaway spa weekend, it didn't change the fact that this is first and foremost a family resort, with four separate kids' programs catering to different age groups, and families coordinating their vacations around one another for yearly summer reunions among the children.
Chatham Bars Inn Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (4 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...