Moonlight Basin Resort Review
20 family reviews
Families will love:
- Four-season ski resort
- Plenty of ski-in, ski-out accommodations
- Close proximity to Yellowstone National Park
About Moonlight Basin Resort
Located on the north slope of Lone Mountain, an 11,200-foot peak in Montana's Gallatin National Forest, Moonlight Basin is defined as much by its spectacular location as it is by its family-friendly, intimate setting. Moonlight Basin began to welcome guests in 2003, and while its amenities and services have flourished, the cozy neighborhood feel hasn't changed a bit.
Just a few miles down the mountain (on Highway 64) is Big Sky Resort, a much larger and better-known facility with whom Moonlight Basin shares many trails, lifts and services. However, Moonlight Basin is popular with families who appreciate a smaller and quieter ski resort. On a busy day, Moonlight Basin will see about 2,000 guests on the slopes, and there's really no such thing as waiting for lifts here. Those who have experienced multiple ski resorts will recognize that Moonlight Basin is a true alpine ski experience. This is also a true ski-in/ski-out resort. Younger skiers (okay, maybe adults, too) have fun with a number of tunnels and bridges that connect various trails and property amenities. The fact that Moonlight Basin and Big Sky have such a good relationship and guests are welcomed to ski trails at both resorts just increases the appeal of these properties.
For accommodations, you and your family have a choice of log cabins in the woods, fully tricked-out condos and a penthouse suite above the main lodge. Hot tubs and fireplaces are abundant and enjoyable no matter what the season.
This part of Montana offers some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. In addition to all the activities at Moonlight Basin, the region is filled with options for exploring and learning about the wilderness. And of course, you're just about an hour's drive from Yellowstone National Park, the crown jewel of any family vacation experience.
Moonlight Basin Resort Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (4 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...