Omni Shoreham Hotel Review
822 family reviews
Families will love:
- Easy walk to the National Zoo and very near the National Cathedral
- Resort-like outdoor pool
- Welcome backpack for kids
About Omni Shoreham Hotel
Sometimes a hotel just gets it right. Conceived during the roaring 20's, the Omni Shoreham Washington DC opened its doors in 1930 and spent the next many years welcoming world leaders, presidents and celebrities into its glamorous arena. In 1964, the Beatles took an entire floor for their first performance in the states. Clinton played his saxophone here at his inaugural ball. Judy Garland, Liza Minnelli, Bob Hope all performed in these rooms. In more recent times Julia Roberts filmed parts of the Pelican Brief at the Omni. And the list goes on.
Sitting on 11 acres overlooking Rock Creek Park and boasting 836 guest rooms, this grand dame of hotels, beautifully remodeled through the years, awaits exhausted parents seeking a comfortable resting spot after hours of sightseeing.
The Omni's history is impressive, sure, but there's so much more to this hotel than just yesteryear stardust. To begin, there's the super close location to the National Zoo and, a little further away, the Washington National Cathedral. Then there's the place's golden-era resort feel with its country hideaway style, the inviting outdoor pool, kid's pool, hot tub, small spa and well-appointed fitness room. The fine dining restaurant and elegant lounge add to the old world charm.
Last there's the many small personal touches sprinkled throughout a family's stay at the Omni. When you first arrive the kids are welcomed with colorful backpacks bursting with toys, a water bottle, a flashlight, licorice and more. Later that evening, with a light tap at the door a silver tray appears holding large chocolate chip cookies and frosty glasses of milk for the kids.
Parents will love a stay at the Omni for the elegance and location. The sumptuous lobby, laden with long stem roses, sits beneath six beautiful chandeliers. Kids, if they're anything like my two boys, will always refer to the Omni as "that pretty hotel that gave me a flashlight."
Omni Shoreham Hotel Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (4 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...