Wintergreen Resort Review
73 family reviews
Families will love:
- Convenient condominium accommodations
- Year-round family activities
- Ski programs and childcare in winter and nature and children's programs in summer
About Wintergreen Resort
As Washingtonians, my family and I have been enjoying mountain getaways at Wintergreen Resort for more than 25 years. Wintergreen, situated in Nelson County, VA -- a three-hour drive from Washington D.C., two hours from Richmond and less than an hour from Charlottesville -- offers spectacular Blue Ridge Mountain views, two golf courses, hiking, boating and skiing, as well as creative children's programs and family-friendly accommodations.
The resort sprawls on 11,000 mountaintop, slopeside and valley acres. Of the resort's 1,080 condominiums and townhomes and 350 houses, about 300 units are in the rental pool. Personally, we prefer to rent a Wintergreen condo, rather than a house, because the condos, especially those built on the mountaintop along the ridgeline, often come with better views. All the units have kitchens -- studios feature kitchenettes. That makes it easy for us to save money and time by preparing breakfasts, snacks and simple dinners.
And, we like the space provided by Wintergreen's accommodations. Separate bedrooms for the kids afford us (and them) privacy. The living room gives us a place to gather in the evening and work on jigsaw puzzles, a family tradition, while sharing the day's adventures.
Each time we drive up the mountain to check in at the Mountain Inn, we pause at Founders' Vision Overlook. From there, we savor the expansive views of the Blue Ridge Mountain peaks. On a plaque, Don Faulkner, one of the founders, inscribed his vision for Wintergreen: "forever our island of re-creation within a sea of mountain wilds and nature."
When developers began construction at Wintergreen in the 1970's, they reserved 6,000 acres for conservation. Unlike many mountain resorts, Wintergreen still maintains a woodsy feel. For the most part, builders have set houses and "neighborhoods" back from the road, preserving trees. Also, the George Washington National Forest abuts two sides of the resort, providing more natural views.
Wintergreen is best known as one of Virginia's top ski resorts. (That's right -- Virginia really does offer good ski resorts.) At age 5, my daughter learned to maneuver Potato Path, the beginner run, and as a teenager, my son perfected his downhill techniques on Lower Cliffhanger, Big Acorn and other black diamond slopes.
My husband and I, however, prefer the resort in fall, spring and summer, when we go swimming and horseback-riding and play tennis. In autumn, Wintergreen's hillsides billow with ribbons of red, orange and yellow leaves. In spring, wildflowers bloom, and in summer, the mountaintop -- at an elevation of 4,000 feet -- is a welcoming 10 to15 degrees cooler than the valley.
Whenever you and your family visit, you will find much to do at this laid-back, family-friendly resort.
Wintergreen Resort Reviews
All rights reserved. This file may be downloaded for personal
use only. Other copying or reproduction is expressly prohibited.
FREE Family Travel Newsletter
Family Travel Tips (10 New)
– Family Planning and Tips
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips All About the Extras Sail & Sign Card Carnival ships feature Sail & Sign cards, which make life so much easier. All you do is link a debit card or credit card to your Sail & Sign Card at Guest Relations or a kiosk on the ship. You'll then use your Sai...
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips During the cruise, I quickly learned that cruise food is every bit as big of a deal as the cruise itself. And when it comes to dining, the Carnival Miracle does not disappoint. Bacchus Restaurant Thousands of purple, bubble-like lights embellish Bacc...
- OverviewCabinsDiningActivitiesTravel Tips One of four Spirit class ships, Carnival Miracle made its magical debut in 2004. While it's certainly not Carnival's grandest ship, it's definitely something of a "miracle" for families, who find an ample amount of amenities and activities on board. Amid ...
- So many hotels and resorts to choose from! Which ones really are the best for families in terms of theme-park access, amenities, and accommodations? Here are our favorites in the Orlando area! 1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creak Maybe it is the Hilton's water park with two zero-entry pools, a 3-acre ...
- When it comes to Disney, they certainly know how to cater to families, and families who want to visit Disney's Orlando theme parks will find a large selection of resorts and hotels to accommodate families of all sizes. But which ones are the best? Take a look at these 10 favorites of our editors and...
- There's something special about kids and parents out on the slopes together, swishing down the mountain side by side and laughing together when they fall, and going in for hot chocolate when they just can't take the cold any longer. And then later back at the lodge, sitting by a fire together, playi...
- Deciding where to go for your next family vacation? Often it's the most popular destinations -- from mega theme parks to world-famous beach towns -- that come to mind first. It's tempting to pick a familiar place and just go with what you know, but do this and you could be missing out on some fantas...
- Join us onboard Disney Wonder's first exploration into Alaskan waters and ports as Family Vacation Critic Editor Lissa Poirot and her two tots take you on a tour. Be the first to see a sample of Disney's Alaskan Port Adventures, as well as glimpse the Disney Wonder's onboard fun, in our first-ever d...
- The next time your kids pack their sleeping bags and head off to camp, ready for gooey roasted marshmallows, scary stories and new friendships, why not go with them? Family camps are becoming wildly popular, fusing nostalgic all-American camping with family vacations. Think traditional summer camps,...
- Away from the hectic pace of our everyday lives, any vacation is a chance for families to reconnect. There's no soccer game, no piano recital, no working late, so finally you have that precious day together. Yet, if you really want a meaningful break from your usual schedule, one that might change t...