by Kaitlin Braun
Book a room, suite, private log cabin, or huge 6-bedroom vacation house at the charming Discovery Lodge, which has a rustic feel and great mountain views. Rooms are clean and reasonably priced, and the property has grills, fire pits, a fishing pond, and a hot tub for you to use. The hotel is an easy walk from downtown and activities at Lake Estes. They don’t serve breakfast (instead giving you coupons for nearby restaurants), but in the evening, you can pick a board game and enjoy some free hot chocolate.
Our Editor Loves
- Close to downtown and Lake Estes
- Free wifi
- Fire pits and hot tub
- Free Wi-Fi
We've stayed at The Discovery Lodge several times over the years - it's been our go-to place when in Estes Park.
- The location is great if you want to be able to walk to the visitor center or to town.
- They've added a decent continental breakfast, which I didn't see advertised. They could do a better job keeping it stocked.
- The rooms have been refurbished with nice pine trim, aspen furniture, and new tile in the bathrooms. The bathrooms have only one small shelf, partially blocked by the towels - not nearly enough space to set your stuff, and there's easily enough room to add a small table or shelf.
- No A/C in the rooms, which probably isn't an issue most of the time, but we were up there on a very hot day and there's no way to ventilate the room - most of the windows are screwed shut, except the bathroom, which has no screen, so the bathroom was full of little gnats in the morning. There is a box fan, but no good place to plug it in - an extension cord needs to be provided.
- They've spruced the exterior of the place up a bit; however, the pool has been out of commission for ten years or more and it needs to be filled in and the retaining wall around it is crumbling.
- Two different sections of the steps leading from the upper level to the office have to be out of code: one is crumbling concrete and the metal stairs are so narrow you can't step down without risking your life.
- If you need a hairdryer, you have to pick it up at the front desk. (What?)
- The trash truck picked up at 5 am on Labor Day - just what we needed after a sleepless night in a hot room.
Given all that, for what they charge, we'll probably give something else a try the next time we go to Estes Park.
this place was as expected, little issue checking in after we had been in touch about a prompt check in, but NICK was very nice and was able to get us in around 3:00, thank you..room was as expected, top floor nice view.no shampoo or conditioner, ice machine, good enough continental breakfast, no air conditioner, but mountain breeze was refreshing., asked house keeper for extra pillow, was kind enough to supply.close to free shuttle at visitor center, and shopping....would recommend.