by Michele Hollow
The Hilton at Penn’s Landing (201 S. Columbus Boulevard) in the Society Hill section (formerly Hyatt Regency Philadelphia at Penn’s Landing) is an historic 350-room hotel with an indoor pool that has a kids’ area and offers babysitting services. It is one block from Independence Seaport. Keating’s River Grill, which is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, has wonderful views of the Delaware River. Keating’s serves cheesesteaks and kid-friendly fare, with more upscale choices also available.
Our Editor Loves
- Historic charm, modern amenities
- Kid-friendly Keatings Grill
- In-room and poolside dining
- Connecting Rooms
- Kids' Theme Meals
- Onsite Dining
The location is a short walk to the Liberty Bell and the historical buildings of Philadelphia. It also has a lovely view over Penn Landing. The staff are helpful and polite. The rooms are well presented and maintained. There is also parking on site.
A nice hotel in a good location.
Recently stayed at this property for a few nights after getting a great rate of $110 a night on Hotwire. I was looking for an area that was quiet, somewhat safe for me to walk to at night (the area around Reading Terminal Market is seedy and seedier at night...), and clean so this met those things on my list.
Let's start with pros...
1. Location- Mentioned above. It's in a quiet part of the city that isn't as busy however, there's no riff raff, and you are never truly alone (it's next to a very busy street where there are cars at all hours). Bus 12 is a 2 minute walk from the lobby. This bus takes you right near Reading Terminal Market (although there is a 5 minute walk from where you get off). You are also an 8-10 minute walk from the Front & Market bus station where you can catch the 48 bus to take you to see the Rocky Steps and Rocky Statue (7min walk from where you get off). The Phlash bus is also adjacent to the 12 bus stop however, I decided to stick to just taking Septa buses because I like the flexibility with times offered (you are limited on Phlash). Also there is a Landmark Theater a few minutes walk away. Watched Jojo Rabbit the first time I arrived. Nearly everything in the Old City is less than a 15 minute walk.
2. Room- Comfortable bed, large room, had a nice view of the Delaware River, fridge, and the shower worked well
3. Price- Again Hotwire made it reasonable (I'm not brand loyal...I'm price loyal)
4. Free Wifi- Worked well
5. Flavored water in lobby- The watermelon one is delish
6. Microwave in cafe-I never used it as I ate all my food having no left overs anyway, but they do have a microwave. I assume guests can use this.
1. Staff- I see the reviews here are mixed. While the staff wasn't bad (except for 1 person), no one was particularly helpful or proactive. You will have to do your research and come up with the questions to ask. I had to mention the complimentary shuttle, pretzels, hours of amenities, etc. This is not the kind of staff that will bend over backwards to help you.
2. Housekeeping- There was a house keeper who annoyed me. I left my room one morning early and put the privacy door tag on because I was coming right back and didn't want to have to wait outside for it to be cleaned since I was returning within minutes. This was before 9AM. She gave me a hard time saying not to keep it up so that she could clean, and something like she doesn't like when people keep it up for hours (couldn't understand her). Totally intrusive and inappropriate.
3. In Room Amenities- They keep the coffee maker by the TV, however there's no outlet available for you to plug the coffee maker in where it is located lol. I had to make coffee in the bathroom of all places. They also don't have cotton balls/cotton pads in the bathroom, or a bath robe (I realize this might be more of a Hyatt than a Hilton thing though). The TV was dated...yeah I get you don't go to Philadelphia to watch TV, however I would like there to be more than 20 channels (give or take) available).
4. Pool/Sauna- The sign says open at 5 AM (may have been 7) however at 9AM the pool was locked. The sauna also never seemed to work despite it being on with a temperature set high.
5. Pretzels- There didn't seem to be pretzels given to guests when I was there =(
Despite a number of annoyances, I would easily return to this property simply due to the location if I got it for a reasonable price again. The only other hotel right by the property is the Marriott but it's usually more expensive. There are a couple smaller hotels as well.