by Whitney Rife
Situated on a three-mile stretch of sandy beach next to Atlantis, the Riu Palace in Paradise Island offers beauty and convenience. Relaxing suites and junior suites feature contemporary decor, balconies and ocean views. Five onsite restaurants take care of your family’s every meal, serving buffet and specialty cuisines, like Japanese and Fusion. The all-inclusive rates cover all meals. Nearby, Atlantis also offers additional dining options. Families will enjoy the swimming pool and adjoining Jacuzzi on the premises. Riu Palace offers snorkeling and personal watercrafts so guests can explore the ocean. Water sports and a golf course are nearby, and the famous Atlantis vacation fun park offers a bevy of amusement for kids and adults.
To learn more about Riu Hotels and Resorts, please visit Riu Hotels & Resorts.
Our Editor Loves
- Water sports
- Proximity to Atlantis
- Onsite Dining
This should be called a “Riu Express” and is not a resort. This location was so bad that it has made us, 15 years of staying with Riu, to start looking at other vacation resorts.
- illegal drug usage!! Everywhere!
- Crap service from bartenders, have to be tipping $20s to get attention.
- Small property: smallest Riu I’ve visited.
- Tiny restaurants (seats 40 or less and massive lines)
- Unfriendly staff
- Not the room we booked - downgraded from pics we saw.
- Horrible location- this is basically the back door service entrance of Atlantis, 4 & 5 am back up alarms will wake you up if you’re on the west side.
- Broken tiles all over pool area - cut my foot.
- Non-Stop Thug music at pool, nothing relaxing.
- No rules at pool... people moving chairs, glass bottles of champagne, etc.
- No cover ups in breakfast area, unless you were us.
- Never got our anniversary gift that was supposed to be apart of the package.
- Sewer smell by front desk - they are always cleaning to try and cover it up.
- No extra amenities at beach - no snorkeling, kayaks, etc.
- No shopping on property - Off site shops double the prices of regular store.
- Renuva spa is tiny and wants payment in advance on everything.
- Mediocre entertainment - actually pretty mean to guests.
- Paper thin walls - can hear everything next to you.
- room doors slam and shake the whole room.
- Slow elevators - only 3 for 15 floors.
- Men’s outdoor pool bathroom floods when it rains and that is about every day.
- A.C. works well
- Good hot water
- Jerk shack doesn’t preseason food, so it’s not super spicy.
PLEASE! DO NOT STAY HERE! This is NOT a 4 star hotel, it is a 2 or 3 at best.
There's zero customer service, I have never heard more "no"s in my life from staff, that's if they even let you finish your sentence before cutting you off. The resort itself was renovated but, you wouldn't know it from the tiles falling off the pool, the leaking roof and A/C and hot water not working. My room didn't have hot water, I had to call down anytime I wanted to wash my face or take a shower. My friend's shower down the hall also didn't work and our two other rooms A/C wouldn't work as well. There were no towels in two of the rooms, yet they were just "cleaned". The room fridge was nice to have and the resort itself was generally clean. Some rooms have dead bolts, some do not. We had a view of the rusted roof. The least they could do it paint it or have a mural on it.
The food at the one buffet was meh. Items were not refreshed when running low and most hot items were cold. The restaurants were always empty. We thought it was due to the first come, first serve reservation line up but NOPE, the food and service was terrible. In addition, there was no entertainment or background music so you get to listen to the service door open and slam closed during your meal.
The buffet isn't much better but it was better than nothing. The tables were never set and ready to go, something would always be missing, cutlery, napkins, cups, etc. There were two staff there, Iris and Lynden, who were nice and attentive.They never had anything interesting or different but the day AFTER we left they finally had a Mexican food night and an Asian food night.
The "24 snack bar" only had nacho chips, no toppings. The Cafe's drinks were terrible but their pastries and sandwiches were very good. There is room service available.
There was no entertainment, very little interaction from the staff hired to interact with the guests. One day they opened the large buffet room due to heavy rain and there were no games or staff to interact with you to pass the time. Very odd for a supposed 4 star resort. There are two small pools right next to each other, one was attached to the bar. There was no one until around 10am and they would just set up a speaker and say "yoga starting now" or "volleyball on the beach" and that was it. A DJ would show up around noon. There was enough seating around the pool but the beach you had to get to earlier in the morning otherwise you would not get a chair and definitely not an umbrella. There wouldn't always be someone to walk about and ask for drinks if there was, it was one lady, that's it. They had the outside bar closed during the day for someone to paint the roof, bizarre! There is a Jerk Chicken place out by the pool, but it isn't always open.
The Straw Market wasn't anything special either. They all have the exact same items and the exact same price, no one haggles or cares to bargain with you. The same stuff was at the airport or at Atlantis which is right next door.
There is so much more I could say but, you get the picture; DO NOT STAY HERE! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!